Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating an Access database

Status
Not open for further replies.

capone67

Programmer
Nov 6, 2000
CA
Hi Gang

I am using the code below to try and update an access database in my VB code. I used the same code on another project and was able to make changes to the database. The database I am using is access 2000. I am also having problems with my ASP connecting to my databases now that I have converted the database from access 97 to 2000. I am wondering if my system is having issues of some kind. The error message that I receive from my code is run time error 3219.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

PS I have included my code and the error message I get from my ASP.

'set database information for recording that a coupon has been printed
Set wrkJet = CreateWorkspace("", "admin", "", dbUseJet)
Set dbCouponworx = wrkJet.OpenDatabase("c:\inetpub\ & CompanyNumber & ".mdb")

'get coupon information from the database
MySQL = "Insert into CouponReport (KioskID, MemberID, CouponID, PrintTime) Select " _
& "'" & KioskID & "', '" & MemberID & "', " & CouponIDs(Index) & ", #" & Now & "#;"

Set rsCoupons = dbCouponworx.OpenRecordset(MySQL, dbOpenDynaset, dbOpenDynamic)

Here is the error message I get from my ASP

Error Type:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0x4d4 Thread 0x5a0 DBC 0x2af2574 Jet'.
/coupons/template1.asp, line 7

Right off the bat I would recommend you start using ADO instead of DAO.

Here is some sample code.

'Here is the connection string to the DB:

gstrConnect = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Password=; Data Source=c:\inetpub\ & CompanyNumber & ".mdb; Persist Security Info=True"

'Here is a generic execute function

'Requires a valid sql statement

Public Function ExecuteSQL(ByVal sSQL As String) As Boolean
Dim objConn As ADODB.Connection
On Error GoTo ErrorHandler

Set objConn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
objConn.Open gstrConnect
objConn.Execute sSQL, , adExecuteNoRecords
ExecuteSQL = True

Exit Function
ErrorHandler:
...handle the errors...
End Function

I have a feeling the problem is with my system rather than the code. I'll get back to you if I still have problems.

Ken

This may be due to the fact of how Mysql treats data. I definitely agree with RICRECAR about using ADO. If you are trying to put a string into an integer this error message will come up as well. Check your data types. This is a little late, but hope it will help other people in the future.

Aaron

Also, Error 3219 will appear if your using ADO and you don't do a .Update before .close.

Aarno

MySQL = "Insert into CouponReport (KioskID, MemberID, CouponID, PrintTime) Select " _
& "'" & KioskID & "', '" & MemberID & "', " & CouponIDs(Index) & ", #" & Now & "#;"

This line is wrong. You don't need a SELECT, you need a VALUES ( and a close btacket at the end. Also, are KioskID and MemberID strings? If they are integers drop the '

From help
Multiple-record append query:

INSERT INTO target [IN externaldatabase] [(field1[, field2[, ...]])]
SELECT [source.]field1[, field2[, ...]
FROM tableexpression

Single-record append query:

INSERT INTO target [(field1[, field2[, ...]])]
VALUES (value1[, value2[, ...]) Peter Meachem
peter @ accuflight.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search