Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating ADODB recordset with excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

GGROD

Programmer
Feb 7, 2002
US
I'm setting up a Recordset to an Oracle connection.

And in my VBA code I'm doing:

With rs
.AddNew
.Fields("OPENHOURS") = 4.7
.Update ' stores the new record
End With

if I set my OPENHOURS field to any value with a decimal then I get this error in MS Access: "WRITE CONFLICT"

if I set my OPENHOURS field to any value without a decimal then everything is fine.

The datatype of the oracle field is set to Double.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rod

Hi,

Your application is Excel.

You are updating an Oracle table.

Your error is MS Access: "WRITE CONFLICT"

MS Access???

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] When a diminutive clarvoyant had disappeared from detention, headlines read...
Small Medium at Large[tongue][/sub]

My VBA is in Excel. The VBA updates an Oracle table. I use Access to view the data in the table...(Linked table).

Hope this helps.

I think the fact that it is Excel is irrelevant, I should not have put that in the title of the post.

Sorry,

Rod

For some reason when I use a decimal value there is record locking...when I use a whole number there is no record locking.

Are you updating the linked table in Access or directly into the Oracle table ?

Take a look at the design of the linked table in Access - what data type does Access believe the field to be ?

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

I am updating directly to the Oracle table. I only use the link table in Access to view the data and sometimes make a quick change to the data.

Rod

If that is the case, why are you getting a "Write Conflict" in MSAccess.....

Please post the connection code you are using

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Here is my code for the connection:

Set cn = New ADODB.Connection

cn.Provider = "OraOLEDB.Oracle"

cn.Open "A015PROD", "USERNAME", "PASSWORD"

Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset

rs.Open "OWDB.TBLOPENWORK", cn, adOpenKeyset, adLockOptimistic, 512

Thanks,
Rod

In which case how on earth are you getting a write conflict in Access ??

Rgds, Geoff

WHEN do you get the error? when executing the code? or when viewing the results in Access ?

Rgds, Geoff

The error only occurs when viewing/editing the results in Access.

Right - so there is no issue with the code...

As I asked on teh 6th November

me said:
Take a look at the design of the linked table in Access - what data type does Access believe the field to be ?

Rgds, Geoff

Access shows:

data type - Number
Size - Double
Decimal Places - Auto
Required - No
Indexed - Yes (Duplicates OK)

Rod

Try setting "Decimal Places" to at least 1

Rgds, Geoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back