Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

updating a table outside a mapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

cognos11

MIS
Nov 19, 2003
US
I have three tables.

1) Accounts - target table in m_accounts
nsf_date

2) Account_transactions - target table in m_account_transactions
transaction_code

3) source_target_xref

Following is Psuedo code which i have written based on functional specs.

IFF
account_transaction.transaction_code in
(select account_id, transaction_code from account_transactions where transaction_code in
(select FLD1_SOURCE_VALUE from source_target_xref where ref_source_system_id = 10 and reference_table_name = 'NSF_TRANSACTIONS'))

Then
Update accounts set nsf_date = max(nsf_date,created_date) where account_id = same account_id's that satisfy above select statement

I want to update( based on the above logic ) the 'nsf_date' field in accounts table while i am running wf_account_transactions which loads account_transactions table.

Do i have to do this through m_account_trasactions mapping or m_accounts mapping.?

I am told not to touch the m_accounts mapping.Is it possible?

My m_account_transactions is a direct 1:1 mapping
Source table : account_transactions_stg(oracle)
target table : account_transactions(oracle)

How do i implement this.

1)do i need to create a stored procedure and call it through stored procedure transformation?
2)If so how do i incorporte that iff condition in that.
3)I am thinking of using a lookup trx for source_target_xref.Do i use a connected or unconnected?

or

You may please suggest a simpler method if there is one

Help appreciated.

Hi Cognos,

Whatever I've understood from your problem, I'm writing the solution based on that.
If you need to update the field Nsf_Date in Accounts table, you have to have that table as target. Now as you are told not to touch m_Accounts mapping, so I think you have to make a new mapping.
So don't touch any of the mappings m_Accounts or m_Account_Transactions.Make a new mapping with an update strategy transformation.

I'm giving a brief plan about the mapping.
* You didn't mention about the primary key.I consider account_id as the primary key in both the account tables.

a) Have Accounts and Account_Transactions both the tables as source and use a single source_qualifier for those.(I assume that both the tables are in same schema, it seems so from the similarity in their name)
Select the following columns.
Table: Accounts
---------------
Account_Id,
Nsf_Date,
Created_Date

Table: Account_Transactions
------------------------------
Account_Id,
Transaction_Code

Use the join condition:
Account_Transactions.Account_Id=Account.Account_Id

b) Make a lookup transformation lkp_Source_Target_Xerf with the table Source_Target_Xerf. Set FLD1_SOURCE_VALUE, ref_source_system_id, reference_table_name as lookup port.
Connect the Transcation_Code from sq to the lkp and put that in lookup condition i.e. Transaction_Code=FLD1_SOURCE_VALUE.
Specify the conditions in lookup sql override i.e. ref_source_system_id = 10 and reference_table_name = 'NSF_TRANSACTIONS'

c) Use an expression transformation.
Get the following ports:
sq(Account_Id)----------->Account_Id
sq(Nsf_Date)------------->Nsf_Date
sq(Created_date)--------->Created_Date
lkp(FLD1_SOURCE_VALUE)--->FLD1_SOURCE_VALUE

Create another output port with name Final_Date.
Put expression as follows:
IIF(Created_date>=Nsf_Date,Created_Date,Nsf_Date)

d) Create an update strategy transformation.
Get the ports from expression transformation as follows:
Account_Id,
Final_Date,
FLD1_SOURCE_VALUE

Put Update Strategy Expression as follows:

IIF(not isnull(FLD1_SOURCE_VALUE),DD_UPDATE)

e) Import Accounts table as target.
Connect the Account_Id and Final_Date ports from update strategy to Accountd_Id and Nsf_Date in the target table respectively.

I think this will solve your problem.

Please reply in case you have any difficulty.

Regards,
Ani.

N.B. This mapping should run only after the Account_Transaction table is loaded.

Hi Anil

Thanks for such a prompt reply

I didnt make myself very clear.

My objective is While transactions loading is happening, it should update the nsf_date in accounts table simultanseously taking into considerations all the conditions i mentioned above.

I can make modifications on account_transactions mapping not accounts mapping.

Therfore i am assuming that i can just pull accounts table as an additional target into existing account_transactions mapping and also call the source_target_xref as the lookup.

Just to make it more clear i am including the functional spec below.

Specs:
-----

Set nsf_date in accounts from account_transactions load.

When there is a nsf transaction_code in account_transactions,
update accounts set nsf_date = max(accounts.nsf_date,creation_date) of that transaction.

Nsf transaction_codes are defined in source_target_xref.if transaction_code is found in source_target_xref for ref_source_system_id = 10 and reference_table_name = 'NSF_TRNASACTIONS' then that transaction is considered as NSF.

account_id in accounts table is PK
there is no PK in account_transactions table but account_id is NOT NULL.

Hi Cognos,
You can do one thing.
You can use the mapping I've proposed as a different string in the same mapping designer.

string1: source------------->Account_Transactions(Target1)
string2: source------------->Accounts(Target2)

String1 is the flow currently running.
String2 is what I proposed yesterday.

You can set target load plan according to that i.e. target1 will be loaded first, commit will be executed and then target 2 will be loaded.

I think this will solve your problem.

N.b. If you have the Created date column in Account_Transactions table, you pull out that from the source instead of what I proposed yesterday.

Regards,
Ani

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back