Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating a split database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crystalguru

Technical User
Oct 4, 2001
US
Have a couple questions concerning updating a client's database. I have split the database, front end and back end.

1. I have made changes to the tables (BE). When I go to update, do I just copy over the existing BE like copying over a file?

2. When updating the BE, I cannot erase the data. How do I update the BE correctly without losing data?

3. My FE is still retaining data. I don't want data in the FE. How can data be stored ONLY in the BE?

4. Why is a split database so SLOW to open? Operating on Windows 98, Access 2000??

Thanks [wavey3]

Hi Guru,

1) As long as the file and table names are the same, you can replace the BE file and things should be fine assuming the table changes do not cause a problem. If the links are not restored for any reason, simply relink them.

2) Why can't you erase data? How are you trying to do this? You should be able to do all the normal data manipulations with linked tables except changing data structure. It is possible that your relationships are preventing deletes. This would be independent of the app being split.

3) If your FE still has data tables, import them into the BE file and link them from the BE to the FE. You may choose to leave some lookup tables in the FE for the sake of speed but this is not necessary.

4) There are too many variables to answer this question directly. Is this running over a network? Which OS? Which NICs, hub, connections, etc.

If this doesn't solve things for you give us a bit more detail and we can help get things working.

Hoping this helps,

al

Thanks AL!

From question 4..When I split the database, Access let me link the FE tables to the BE. From what you are saying, I should be linking from BE to FE? How will I do that when the tables are already linked? Delete all links and start in the BE and link them? I think this has a lot to do with the speed of the system.

Question 5. Let me do the re=linking and such and see if that doesn't speed things up!

crystalguru [wavey3]

Can someone answer my question as to why a split database still holds data in the Front End? Or why my is doing this?

Crystalguru,

As for the slow speed, it probably has to do with the "Perform name Autocorrect" bug. Go to Tools, Options, General tab on your database, and make sure that this is unchecked. Secondly, does your database use any "Make Table" queries? If these are run after the database is split, it will put them in the FE. The database splitter will not leave any tables in the front end file. HTH.

Griz

Griz,

I unchecked the Perform AutoName selection. Will look for "speed" while I work.

I do not use any Make Table queries. (don't even know how to do that yet...)

I am just concerned that as the database grows, the front end will grow and so will the back end...that seems inefficient.

As of now, the Front End sits on the client workstations. The back end sits on the server.

I would like just the forms, queries, reports to be on the front end, back end- just data. When I look at the Front End tables, they contain data!

crystalguru

crystalguru,

The tables do not exist in the FE only links to them. If you look at the tables in the Database window they will have black arrows next to them. As you add data only the BE wil grow not th FE.

As for your (1) question, if your client has already entered data in the BE you CANNOT just copy your updated BE over his. You will wipe out any data he has entered. Alr0 is wrong.

This is an issue alot of people do not take into account when they split there database. Splitting is great, it lets you make changes to the FE without effecting the data in the BE. But what happens if you need to make changes to the BE. If you have access to the clients BE you could just make the changes to it, but this is often not possible.

After lots of searching for an easy solution I found dbUpgrader. It is an ActiveX control that will upgrade the BE with changes you provide in a model database without loosing any data. It is very easy to use and it works great. You can get more info here:
This is the best tool I have ever bought for Access.

Dermot

thanks dermot

I think I may have a problem with my datbase. Whenever I add data, it puts it in the FE tables and also the BE. I assumed when I split the database and the FE tables had the arrows/links that NO data would be in the FE tables. I enter a employee into the Employee form and it appears in the FE tables and the BE. Is there a problem here?

I looked at the dbUpgrader. From what I read it sounds like the tool I need. Thank you for the tip.

The data will be visible in the tables in the FE but it is stored in th BE. That's the great thing about linked tables, they behave just like local tables in the FE but the data is stored in the BE. As long as they have the little black arrow next to them they are linked tables.

I don't think you have problem.

Dermot

Dermot,

Great news! That makes me feel better. I was thinking the file size would grow in the FE AND the BE. That would be bad...but from what I understand, you can "see" the data in the FE but it is NOT stored there. GREAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back