Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating a server from 2003 sp2 to 2003 R2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgcm

IS-IT--Management
Sep 26, 2008
GB
Hello, I'm musing the prospect of perhaps updating 3 of my servers to 2003 R2, to make use of the enhanced support for DFS (I'm not yet using DFS, but want to and have heard that really you should have all the servers on R2).

I've been reading up on the internet and it sounds like the process is fairly undestructive - I'm not touching the DC's, but don't really want the 'update' to trash the server, formatting the drives etc.

Has anyone done this update and how did it go ? I've got an idea from various web articles on the actual process, but I don't want anything destructive - if it's a pain then I'd rather wait another 18 months until I replace the hardware.

had no problems when I did it

MCITP:EA/SA, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, MCTS, MCP+I, MCP

Thanks for those words of assurance. I'll pick my least important server to try it on first, but I feel more confident now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back