Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating a page!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programmer
Nov 3, 2000
IT
Hi,
i'd like to know if it is possible to forse a client to display a page without his request.I'd like a page to update itself when data changing.

You could write the part of the page that displays the data as an applet and let the applet check for updated information every so often. Just remember the security restrictions on applets. They may only "talk" to the server that they originate from. Therefore if the database back-end is not located on the same box as the web server that you must have a proxy setup to reroute the request to the DB server.

Wushutwist

Sun Certified Java 2 Programmer

The problem is: I can't use applet because my client can't support applet. So is there another way to do this?
Thanks

A quick and easy fix would be to have the page youpage.jsp (JSP or HTML) refresh it self every minute or two minutes. (whatever time intreval you would like). If you don't want the entire page to refresh put it in a frame, or if you don't mind using IE. put the dynamic content that you're going to have changing a often in it's own FULL JSP/HTML page. Then in that page with only the dynamic content in the body, put a refresh tag in the head.

Next have that page displayed as an
Code:
 <IFRAME src=&quot;yourpage.jsp&quot; width=&quot;xx&quot; height=&quot;xx&quot; scrolling=&quot;xx&quot;></IFRAME>

this will cause just the IFRAME to refresh every so often and grab new data from the server.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back