Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

updating 2 dbs at two different ips

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottRen

Technical User
Feb 4, 2005
CA
Hi, i'm looking for advice. I have two sql2k dbs, one of the dbs reside on the webserver. I have an asp page that updates a table in the db. I would like to update the other db at this time, but i was wondering if the connection string would be secure, as i need it to be. I was think some like using VPN to create a secure tunnel to the other db at a different ip address, but am not sure how i could instigate this idea thru asp pages. Maybe there is a better way to securly send data to update another sql db at a different ip address?

You could still execute a stored proc on your original db on the webserver which in turn updates the other database.
You would need to set up a linked server, but it would prevent direct access from the web to the second database.

"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart

thanks, so basically the asp page call a stored procedure to update the table and the stored procedure also update the other db which is external....
how on setting up a linked server... is software needed?
is there an option for installing linked server components?

thanks

if you look at BOL (sql help) and then I think its sp_addlinkedserver or sp_addserver, if you search for linked servers that will help.

"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart

so now i have linked servers... how to make it secure... what can be done...?

I think if you use sp_addlinkedserver, you can then use sp_addlinkedsrvlogin to manage which login credentials you use on the remote database.
This should allow you to enforce whatever security you require, for example only allow the remote user the ability to execute a single stored procedure or table.

Not sure of the specifics, I am sure someone else on here might have a few examples, and if you are really stuck I can try and set something up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back