Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangoma

IS-IT--Management
May 28, 2005
GB
How do I get the updates for our Avaya system?
Since installed I have not gotten any of the updates for it.
Purchased in Nov, 2005.
Can someone let me know what I need and how I can download them?

If it is an R7, there are a couple of updates - designed to be installed by your Avaya business partner. They must be written to special linear PCMCIA cards and inserted into your processor to upgrade.
If your Partner is R6, there may not be any upgrades.
Mike

Yes it is an R7.
As for an Avaya business partner - given the fact I installed and maintain the system myself, not sure how that factors into this equation. Is there another way of obtaining the updates, or am I going to be forced to contact an outside contractor?
Please inform.
Thanks

One of the downsides to installing your own system (as I have done) is that many Avaya Business Partners won't want to have anything to do with it.

One way to go is to contact the company you bought the system from (assuming it wasn't a private seller), and ask about obtaining the needed patches. You can also look in the Yellow Pages for a listing of vendors who support Avaya telephone systems.

While you may be able to do this yourself, reality is that it may be cheaper and faster to contract with a business partner. It is likely that you don't have the correct linear PCMCIA card required, nor the 12V slot signal booster that many laptops require to write to the card.
The two things that the upgrade will get you are:
1. Auto config restore in event of power outage and battery failure.
2. Auto synching of system clock to caller ID.

Many folks don't fool with upgrade because there just isn't enough in it to make it worth while.
Mike

What is your particular revision? Press Feature 59 at a display phone.

Are you having any problems that updates will address? Many times it's best to leave well enough alone!

Call the people you bought the system from and ask them if they can get the "updates" for you and how much it will cost you.
If the system was bought from an Avaya Business Partner and registered with Avaya it would have come with a 3 year warranty from Avaya. That being said, your updates should be provided to you free of charge from you vendor as part of their regular service to you. The price a vendor pays to be an Avaya Business Partner enables them to get these "updates" from Avaya.

I highly endorse the posts from TouchToneTommy and 1043. Any attempt to improve on a system that already works is pointless and may even be detrimental.

I agree completly, if it aint broke dont fix it. But with the Daylight Savings Time Change, and the feature that updates the time with caller ID, I would have like the updates.
But seeing that the updates are more than impossible to come by, I dont think I am willing to pay someone for something that I can fix in 5 Minutes by simply turning off the auto Daylight Savings Time feature.
Thanks to all for your help with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back