Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updates for SBS same as Windows Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjr

Technical User
Apr 19, 2001
US
When I go the the MS update site and scan my SBS server for updates it finds quite a few, but 0 in the category for Windows Small Business Server 2003. The critical update it suggests before I install any others is SP2 for Windows Server 2003 (not SBS). SBS only is up to SP1 (as far as I know). Is it not safe to use the windows update feature with SBS.

The service also lists Exchange updates and others. Are these unsafe to install because they contemplate Windows Server 2003, and not Windows Small Business Server 2003?

I am an SBS newbie, and would appreciate any help.

Don't worry, the MS update site should propose only valid patches for your config.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

I want to believe you, but by virtue of Already suggesting SB2 for Windows Server 2003, has it not already suggested the Wrong update? There is no SBS SP2.

So, it list SBS as one of the environments to which Windows Server 2003 SP2 applies. Is that your point, notwhithstanding the fact that SBS only has SP1?

the fact that SBS only has SP1
???
Why wouldn't SBS 2003 have SP2 ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

I do not know, but MS only lists one service pack for SBS, SP1. It does not list a SP2 for SBS.

I don't know which list you're talking about, but, back to the topic:
SP2 for Windows Server 2003 DOES apply to SBS 2003 (standard or premium, R2 or not).

rjr,

I understand where you are coming from. PHV has provided the right information though may not undertand your concern.

Your caution is well advised. Before installing ANY service pack on SBS you need to excercise caution to ensure that it has been blessed for SBS. In this case SP2 has been blessed.

Sounds like your SBS may have come WITH SP1 so a little history may help you. SBS SP1 is not the same as Windows 2003 SP1. Original installs of SBS 2003 had to install BOTH Windows SP1 and SBS SP1. SBS SP1 made corrections to the SBS specific code that Windows SP1 broke/misconfigured. SBS SP1 also fixed bugs that exsisted in SBS specific code that differed from regular Windows 2003. It is my understanding that all known bugs to the SBS specific code have been recitified, only the Windows specific SP is required.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time while getting more work done, get the Admin Scri

Mark, you hit it right on the head. I did not know there was a SP1 for SBS and also one for Windows Server 2003. Actually, we applied SBS SP1 only a couple months ago. Having applied a service pack specific to SBS, I thought that only service packs specifically designed for SBS would apply. Further, the list of updates, after the system scan by Windows Update shows a 0 for SBS updates. I failed to make the extent of my ignorance cleared to PHV, and I thank PHV for the help.

Windows Update suggests a number of other updates to apply, in addition to SP2, including those for Exchange Server 2003. Obviously, it has scanned my SBS server. Can I then safely assume that the updates it suggests are appropriate for my SBS server?

If you only installed SBS SP1 then you really should take a look at the documentation for that. There were a number of things you needed to do and may not have.

1. Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1
2. Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 Service Pack 1
3. Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 1
4. Windows XP SP2 for Client Deployment
5. Windows Small Business Server 2003 Service Pack 1

Since the release of SP1, Exchange SP2 should also be installed.

You will find details of this process and links to the downloads here:
Personally, I would run through the above process, install Exchange SP2 and then perform the Windows SP2 update.

If you have IMF installed on Exchange SP1 you will need to uninstall it before Exchange SP2 will install. After you install the Exchange SP2, you will have the newer version of IMF. Check out my FAQ for enhancing that configuration to help block out more SPAM. faq955-6503

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Mark, I will follow your advice, and thank you for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back