Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

'Updates are ready for your computer' icon just won't go away

Status
Not open for further replies.

followtheboat

Programmer
Nov 29, 2008
IN
The system tray yellow icon with the exclamation mark that indicates I have new updates ready to install never goes away. Despite it instructing me to 'click here to install these updates', they don't appear to update, or at least the icon never disappears. I am running xp sp3 on a Samsung NC10 and use Stardock's ObjectDock menu system. This has been going on for weeks, it won't go away after a few reboots.

I'm not an XP wizz so I'm unsure what procedure I should follow. Any clues?

Thanks in advance.

[] []
tales [not just] from the high seas

Another thing to do is, go to and click the "Review your update history" on the left. A component may be failing to install.

Or, try to install updates through a custom update from the site above.

If you hover above it while it is updating you should see a percentage completed.
I had one today that took about 45 minutes to complete, so you may be in the same slow queue. I wasn't around the networking stuff so I don't know if it was slow network or really that big.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

OK, I think I've worked it out.

For starters when clicking on the icon using ObjectDock, it did not bring up the install options window (express or custom install option). I reset ObjectDock to display the original Windows task bar.

I then clicked the icon again and this time the above-mentioned window appeared. I opted for Custom Install and it told IE 8 was waiting to be installed. Because I develop I like to stick with IE 6 (it is the most buggy), I'm not interested in using IE 8 (I use FF mainly). I unchecked the box to install and unchecked the box to remind me again.

So far the icon has not reappeared, so I think that was the problem.

Now I need to get in touch with Stardock and let them know about the issue.

Thanks for all your answers.

[] []
tales [not just] from the high seas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back