Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updated to windows 2000 on presario 5635

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampy2000

Technical User
Jan 29, 2004
US
I know updrading vs. total install is the only wise thing to do...But I had no choice in this matter due to wife not wanting to save all her data. Well I have a IEE1394 port that is on the mother board. Not a seperate card. I have e-mailed compaq 3 times to ask for a driver since win 2k does not support the compaq port. Compaq claims there is no need for a driver. Compaq mother board only has compaq numbers and they claim that the machine is not configured to accept windows 2000. I have had other bizzar answers from them. I have removed the port from windows numerous times and windows does see the port, when windows searches for the correct driver no luck. I then choose to manually choose a driver only to find all drivers win 2k offers are not the correct one. Anyone out there know the correct driver...Joe

You mean you need driver for onboard firewire - are you sure? (if its Compaq)

Could you also clarify what you are doing (sounds like moving your wife from win? to 2k - but rest of post seems to refer to your machine....

Also, let us know which compaq/HP model machine you have ?

NO one can drive us crazy unless we give them the key

As the title says presario 5635. IEE 1394 on mother board not seperate card...need driver

I will not it does offer a digital video out connector, labelled "Flat Panel Connector" "1394 Connector", but this is not firewire.

The 1394 connector is an old digital standard for connecting flat panel monitors, it is not firewire.

What is going on here with all these threads?

No, it's a 1394 (Firewire) port. I've got the same problem on my Compaq 5660. I wiped the disk and did a clean install of Windows XP. It needs a driver for the 1394 port, doesn't have one and can't find one. HP (Compaq) doesn't list one on their site, either. Glad to hear somebody else went to the trouble of contacting them - just wish they'd had a good response. I suspect there's just no need for them to develop a driver for 2000/XP. I'm sure their standard answer is to use the Restore Disk if you really want your 1394 port back. I'd hoped it would work to get high speed access to my external hard drive. Since I'm going to be building a new PC to do video with, I don't really need the port for anything else.

Instead, I ordered a USB 2.0 PCI card to use with the drive. Ampy2000 - do you have to have the 1394 port? Could you get by with replacing your device interface to USB 2.0? If it's for an older peripheral, I suspect not... Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back