Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

qbasicking

Programmer
Aug 19, 2001
US
My computer keeps telling me
"You are running an old version of this program, please download a new one". But ti doesn't tell me what program it is talking about.
Lil Help?
thanx

What programs are you running at the time this message occurs? Have a look in the Task Manager under Applications and also Processes. See if you can pick it up that way. It sounds like it might be something you downloaded and not a windows program.

The message occurs many times when I start many different programs. It has occured while running or starting these:

Qbasic
AIM
AOL

both Qbasic and AIM were downloaded.

update to newer versions of the proggys because of security or compatibility updates

Tom

There aren't newer versions, thats the problem.
AOL 7 doesn't work on my computer
AIM 4.8 is the latest version
they stopped making qbasic after 4.5

Check the Windows Program Compatibility list at microsoft.com, some of the programs may not be supported and the computer will recognize that and continue prompting.

How long have you had XP on your computer.

How long ago did you start getting these messages. Is it possible to use System Restore to go back in time before the messages began.

After displaying this message what action are you able to pursue (is there an OK to press and what happens next)?

If you want to check out another site where compatibility is the main topic but it also includes comments by the program users have a look at how your programs rate.

This is a bit of a mystery, I can find nothing similar on the "net" which is unusual with error messages. Have we got the exact error message?

One suggestion "out of left field" a complete guess in other words, make sure your bios is updated and try running it on the default settings.

Its a new computer and XP was pre-laoded onto it.
I ran the Update Wizard and after that it started to give me the message.
When i press OK it doesn't do anything. The window is closed and I work as normal.
I can't restore the computer, since there are no checkpoints before the problem started.

If it is under Warranty you should report this to the company so that they have a record of your problem. They might be able to help you fix it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back