Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update XP but ActiveX not enabling

Status
Not open for further replies.

geilerts

Technical User
Oct 19, 2002
US
On my niece's XP Pro desktop that was overrun last night by spies, viruses, etc... I clean and re-clean with MS AntiSpyware, AVG, Spybot S&D, AdAware. Pretty soon everything seems to work right. But I want to update her XP Pro and IE. I use IE6 to go to Microsoft website and I'm told her ActiveX settings are not allowing the operation. I go to Tools Internet Options, Security, Internet, and enable safe ActiveX scripting, and Running ActiveX, re-boot, and then try again. I'm again told that ActiveX is not enabled. I've run and re-run AVG and MS AntiSpyware, Spybot S&D, AdAware. Still, I can't update.

Anybody help with a next idea?
Thanks
Gary

Try re-installing IE6 - it may well be the case that some of the spyware, or the spyware removal process, has knocked out a core piece of software needed to run ActiveX controls.

Hope this helps,
Dan

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Are you running a fire wall? The fire wall may be blocking some service needed for Windows to verify it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back