Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update Two Recods In Same Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

StanJx

Programmer
Jun 2, 2016
LK
I need to update two records of the same table (tblVehicle) during a button (cmdAssign) click. The record is selected from a list box and at the button click the currently assigned vehicle's info (vehiIn = True , vehiOut = False [Where = vehicleNo{Current}]) needs to be updated. And simultaneously the same new vehicle's info (vehiIn = False , vehiOut = True [where = vehicleNo{Changed}]) needs to be updated. I have tried to do this but I keep running into errors. Would appreciate advice on the best practice for this.

what are you trying to achieve?
what is your code ?
what error msg are you getting ?

Thanks for your response. I think the issue is the WHERE statement because the value is taken from the same field. I used TempVars to store that value temporarily from a textbox that is populated on a list click.

I have made a change in the structure to have only one Yes/No field (vehiAvailable) rather than two.

Here is the SQL that I am using. I tried recordset but it was the same. The problem occurs only in the TempVars SQL string.

Code:
CurrentDb.Execute "UPDATE tblVehicle SET vehiAvailable = True WHERE DvrID= " & TempVars!TempAssign
CurrentDb.Execute "UPDATE tblVehicle SET vehiAvailable = False WHERE DrvID= " & Me.cmbVehicle

I am getting the error "Too few parameters. Expected 2"

what is the value of TempVars!TempAssign

try msgbox TempVars!TempAssign

I checked the value with a debug.print the value seems fine. It doesn't update to the new value.

I checked the SQL string as well. This too looks fine

UPDATE tblDriver SET VehicleAvailable = -1 WHERE DvrID= PA-9788 ;

No, it does not, to me:
[tt]
UPDATE tblDriver
SET VehicleAvailable = -1
WHERE DvrID = [highlight #8AE234]'[/highlight]PA-9788[highlight #8AE234]'[/highlight] [/tt]

Have fun.

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

Yeah I figured it out that plus I had spelled DrvID as DvrID and was trying to pass a string value on a number field (DrvID is a auto number) Once I figured the first part out the rest was simple. I set the WHERE parameter to the VehicleNo field and worked like a charm. Thanks for all your help and support apologies if I wasted your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back