Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update the form

Status
Not open for further replies.

d1004

Programmer
May 9, 2002
US
Is there a way that I can have two users using the form at the same time and possibly updating the information
at the same time too.
One way I was thinking was to open the form as a read-only, and when the user click the update button, then it
changes from read-only to editable or something like that. Is that possible?
Is there a better solution?
thank you!

Hi,

Multiple users are supported in Access. You should be using some sort of record locking if you are going to have multiple users at the same time. On your form go to it's properties, then go to Record Locks. Set it to "Edited Record". I would also set the Recordset Type to " (Inconsistent Updates)". However, if two users try to edit the same record at the same time you will recieve an error. Follow this link for more info:

HTH,

jbehrne

I tried all this, but what is happening is that let's say user 1 open the form and use it. Everything
works great. But when user 2 open the form, it is read-only, and the userID field populate the user1
ID rather than user2. I guess what I am trying to do is to have a capability where both users
can work on the form at the same time without one user having the form as read-only
Thank you,

Have you tried spltting the db into front end and back end?

Hi d1004,

Check these settings in your db:

Open your db - go to 'Tools', 'Options'- on the 'Options' menu click the 'Advanced' tab, find the 'Default Open Mode' section and check to make sure the radio button for 'Shared' is checked. Below this should be a section labled: 'Default Record Locking', try setting your db to 'Edited Record'. Finally, make sure that the check box next to 'Open databases using record-level locking' is checked.

HTH,

jbehrne

What if I had the Default Record Locking as No Lock because that seems to let two users use the form without one going into read-only

You could do that, but you run the risk of the users editing the the same record at the same time - it may cause data inconsistancies in your table. The main problem will probably be that if two users try to edit the same record at the same time one will get the error message that the record cannot be updated...

HTH,

jbehrne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back