Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update table record after each report prints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarekb

Programmer
Mar 30, 2007
US
I have a list of employees that need to be sent a letter if they meet a certain criteria. The report looks at a query and prints out a letter for each employee that needs one. I want to be able to update their record with the date the letter was printed on. I think I have the code to get this to work, but I'm not sure what event to put it under since when I run the report only one record updates out of the 3 that should have updated (as an example).

Dim sqlRP As String

sqlRP = "UPDATE PROCESS SET Process.DT_NOTICE_LETTER = Date() WHERE EMPLID ='" & [EMPLID] & "'"
CurrentDb.Execute sqlRP

Thanks

You can use the SQL from the report and run the update after the code that opens the report.

Thanks, that was an easier solution then what I was trying to do. Right now this is how the code works.
1. click on Print Letter button
2. report is opened and prints out all records based on a query.
3. After open report code, the sql is executed that updates the tables with the same where condition as the report.

I used this for my other letters and one other button. The only thing I don't like is that each button and report has a separate query that does the same thing. For example the notice letter print button has update sql thats has the same where clause as the report query. So if I have to change something I've got to go to several places and make sure all the where clauses are the same.

You can build the Where clause in its own procedure.

Can you give me an example of how that would be done using where clause from my first post?

Very roughly:

Code:
Function GetSQL(blnUpdate, EmplID) As String
If blnUpdate Then
  GetSQL= "UPDATE PROCESS SET Process.DT_NOTICE_LETTER = Date() WHERE EMPLID ='" & EmplID & "'"
Else
  GetSQL= "Select PROCESS.DT_NOTICE_LETTER  From Process Where PROCESS.DT_NOTICE_LETTER=Date() And EMPLID ='" & EmplID & "'"
End If

Ah, I see what you mean now. I'll try to change over to this, but one question. How would I call a function within a sql query and/or code?

You can call functions with SQL, but not such a function as the sketch above. With code, it is simple enough, for example:

[tt]sqlRP = GetSQL(False, Me.EmplID)[/tt]

Can I send the function to a report with DoCmd.OpenReport? If so I can have select all queries for the reports and part of the click button code could send the where clause.

Yes, you can. Why not put something together and post it here, if you have any problems?

Ok I just started to change over my code to use functions and getting an error when trying to pass a function to DoCmd.OpenReport. The error is:
Code:
Run-Time error '2212':
Microsoft Office Access coudln't print your object.

Here's part of the function
Code:
Public Function GetSQL(category As String, queryType As String) As String

Select Case category
Case "Notice"
    If queryType = "Button" Then
        GetSQL = "UPDATE Results SET Results.DT_NOTICE_LETTER = Date() WHERE"
    ElseIf queryType = "Letter" Then
        GetSQL = "WHERE "
    End If
    GetSQL = GetSQL + "[DT_HIRE] > #5/31/2006# and (DateDiff('d',[DT_LAST_WORKED],Date()))<35"
    GetSQL = GetSQL + "and (DateDiff('d',[DT_HIRE],Date()))>30 and [DT_Notice_Letter] is null"

And here is the button code

Code:
Private Sub NoticeLetter_Click()
    Dim stDocName As String

Select Case MsgBox("Print Notice Letters?", vbYesNo)
    Case vbYes
        stDocName = "NOTICE_LETTER_REPORT"
        DoCmd.OpenReport stDocName, acNormal, , GetSQL("Notice", "Letter")

CurrentDb.Execute GetSQL("Notice", "Button")
        MsgBox ("Noitice Letters Successfuly Printed")
    End Select
End Sub

A Where argument used in opening a form or report should not include the word "Where".

You are short of a space here:
[tt] GetSQL = GetSQL + "[COLOR=red yellow] [/color]and (DateDiff('d',[DT_HIRE],Date()))>30 and [DT_Notice_Letter] is null"[/tt]

It is oftern worth while to Debug.Print such statements or to try the function in the immediate window:

?GetSQL("Notice", "Letter")

As it will show up such errors.

Thanks, after taking out the where part in the function it works fine. I'm having another problem with sending the SQL through the function to DoCmd.TransferText, but I started another thread for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back