Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes1961

Technical User
Aug 21, 2001
US
I have a data like

F1 F2 F3
A B
B C
B D
B E .5
AA BB
BB CC
CC DD
CC EE
CC FF .62

I need to update the value of F3 based on a value that is alrady in F3. In the sample above I would like all records, A-B, B-C, B-D, be set to the value in the record B-E.

CAn someone help me with this?

You may try this:
UPDATE yourTable
SET F3 = (SELECT F3 FROM yourTable WHERE F1='B' AND F2='C')
WHERE F1 & '-' & F2 In ('A-B','B-C','B-D')

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

PH,

Thanks for your quick response. I am sorry that I was unclear on what I wanted.

After the update I would expect the table to look like:

F1 F2 F3
A B .5
B C .5
B D .5
B E .5
AA BB .62
BB CC .62
CC DD .62
CC EE .62
CC FF .62

I don't know how many levels that the value F3 can be down, however, I want to update all records that have any association with the record that contains the value.

The rocord B - E contains the vlaue that I want to use. So then I want to update any record in F1 that coantins B. Then I want to use the contents of F1 (B) in F2 to determine if any more records need updating. So, I would then want to update record A (because of the A-B-E link) with the value of the E i.e ".5"

Thanks,
Wes

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back