Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update Query in Linked Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

eselhassan

Programmer
Aug 22, 2003
US
I'm currently using OPENQUERY to move data form AS400 to SQL. INSERT is what I use and it is working just fine. However I'm just curious on how UPDATE query syntax is written for similar puropse. Any headsup is appreciated. Thanks

Basically you should be able to use OPENQUERY anywhere you can use an ordinary table name. Have a go and if you need help please post more details/example query.

--James

The SQL table is one that keeps all employees even those retire, terminated, etc.. The AS400 file that holds same data only has current employees. I want to do an update to the SQL table ... which means appending only the new employees from the AS400 file. Here is some code

Code:
UPDATE sqlEmp
SET EmpID = SEEN,
    Fname = SEFNM,
    Lname = SELNM,
    Add = SESTR1,
    Status = SESTAT
FROM (SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY(AS400Svr, 'select SEEN, SEFNM, SELNM, SESTR1, SESTAT from my400Lib/my400File'))

Is there a better way than this? thanks

If you only want to add the rows that aren't already in the SQL table you need to do an INSERT rather than an UPDATE, something like this:

Code:
INSERT sql_table (id, c1, c2, c3)
SELECT t1.*
FROM OPENQUERY(AS400Svr, 'SELECT id, c1, c2, c3 FROM my400Lib/my400File') t1
  LEFT JOIN sql_table t2 ON t1.id = t2.id
WHERE t2.id IS NULL

--James

Question for James, t1 and t2 are those sql tables? are they temp tales then or what? Thanks

t1 and t2 are just the aliases I have assigned to the two tables (t1 is the AS400 table and t2 is the sql table).

You could just as easily call them bob and fred!

--James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back