Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

update query in Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkecowboy

Programmer
Mar 31, 2004
US
I am not very experienced in VBA. I've been doing traditional VB development for years. I am trying to perform an update of a database field in Access from within an Access module.

db.Open CurrentProject.Connection
sql = "update tblPatientHistoryNew set probdesc = '" & x & "' where patientID = " & Forms!frmPatientList!txtPatientID & " and refdate = #" & Me.HistDate & "#;"
db.Execute sql

note that x contains a very long Base64 string. I am getting a syntax error on the execute method. The weird thing is that I can print the SQL string in the immediate window, put that exact statement in a new Access query and it runs fine. Is my syntax of the execute method incorrect? Thanks.

Glenn

try,

docmd.runsql ("update tblPatientHistoryNew set probdesc = '" & x & "' where patientID = " & Forms!frmPatientList!txtPatientID & " and refdate = #" & Me.HistDate & "#;")

I am still getting this error:
"syntax error in string in query expression" and the msgbox only lists the base64 string. For some reason, it doesn't like the base64 string variable, but when I plug that exact sql string into a new Access query it runs fine.

This is the sql expression:

update tblPatientHistoryNew set probdesc = 'base64:AKUFHAOAgAQdBMQGxgIDBEgQRTUZFDIIAIAQAgAAFEIzCACADAIAABhCEauq00EeBgyDg5cwAAo5OYL9MfpnEzxk+HtpeZ5EgrQEpDLVctsuAIP4U+F4U4Vy488+Dz61jlrhCkQlcwmJq4SRCLOMUmpACjhEgv4Bw/gHEERzTVhlbLgs0ARI2bBN5aLK0IL8DfgeWSxYKps1JJk9ZvfN871zkZOR5a2zVxywgAo9PYP8LV+FtLuKVOZiYqEI10x05d+/eUJulkokTlKsTRUgg/c91Gq1vc3Emc1OgR4FZ5r3MTM4inAm0kkIkApWiQGC/KH5RAGLEtTc02UsiW5ZYEsubZYs ' where patientID = 6 and refdate = #10/13/2004#;

I guess that the problem is that the base64 string actually exceeds the length that Access will allocate to string variables, I think I remember a limit of 255 characters but someone else will probably correct me on this. It may require splitting the base64 into 2 strings and then concotonating the string together during the update statement.

cheers hope this helps

You are correct a text field in Access is limited to 255 characters. You would have to create several text fields in the table set to a maximum length of 255 each and then split your description into several parts x, y, z filling each part up to the maximum of 255 characters and then updating each description field in the table. You would have to have a sql statement for each field your updating.

I still don't think you can concatenante them in a query due still to the field size limitation. But you could place them side by side in a report or query.

I think that if you use a memo field with in your table you may then be ableto try conctonating the strings together into the tableas you required.

I think one of the problems, is the characters within the string, another mitght be how you're using the connection.

For this to work, I think you could
[tt]currentproject.connection.execute sql
' or
dim cn as adodb.connection
set cn=currentproject.connection
cn.execute sql[/tt]

Put prior to that, I think you'd need to prepare the string. I don't know which of the characters makes trouble, but I'll guess "=" and "+", but you'll need to find that out try "doubling" those characters

[tt]x=replace(x,"=","==")[/tt]

But, to avoid that problem, have a look at chiph's faq on using ADO parameters faq709-1526.

Roy-Vidar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back