Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

update qry msg help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bajanJedi

Technical User
Feb 17, 2004
BB
HI, I was wondering what this error meant. I have a update query that produced this message -

Microsoft Access can't update all the records in the update query.

Microsoft Access didn't update 3 field(s) due to a type conversion failure, 0 record(s) due to key violations, 0 record(s) due to lock violations, and 0 record(s) due to validation rule violations.

bajanJedi

What ever you were doing you created a value to update a field where Access could not make the value fit the field. An example would be where you tried to load "tell you tomorrow" into a numeric field.

I suggest you always run the query as a select first so you can see the values being generated. Then switch it to an update query, and do your update.

thanks for replying. i tried ur suggestion but it won't work. i have a calculation in the 'update to' field, so when i switch over to select query it doesn't show any records period.

the query is for updating products in stock. so when one item is sold the table with the units in stock field would update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back