Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update links to ODBC tables using Linked Table Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

shilpashetty27

Technical User
Apr 12, 2007
CA
Hi All,

I'm new to MS Access and have been trying to update the links to the ODBC tables in my database.
I'm trying to do this using the Linked Table Manager option by right-clicking on the ODBC table I want to update. I'm then prompted for choosing a DSN and then a data source. Can anyone please throw some light on how I can go about updating the link?
Your help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Shilpa

I'm not sure what right-clicking has to do with the link table manager. You normally select the appropriate tables, check the box in the lower left corner, and click OK.

What are your results?

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Duane,
Thanks for your reply.

I have a few ODBC tables already linked in my db. I'm merely trying to update those links. To do that, I select the ODBC table I'm trying to update, right-click and then select
Linked Table Manager. This then prompts me to enter the DSN and etc... This is where I get stuck.

I hope I've been more clear this time.
Thanks again!
Shilpa

Try the Tools->Database Utilities->Linked table manager (I think that's the menus). If this doesn't work, tell us what you are finding rather than simply "This is where I get stuck".

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Duane,
Thanks again for the update. With some fiddling around, I was eventually able to figure this one out. I wasn't selecting the right ODBC driver when prompted to as it turned out.

Unfortunately I did not have access to the database to provide you a screenshot of where the problem was and hence the phrase 'This is where I get stuck'. I probably was presumptuous that an MS Access MVP like yourself would have made an educated guess. Apologies for that and I'd prefer no replies as opposed to brusque and futile remarks.
You really weren't compelled to answer this one if you chose not to.

Thanks for your time,
Shilpa

Sorry if I offended you. It wasn't clear from
Shilpa said:
This then prompts me to enter the DSN and etc... This is where I get stuck
I'm not sure how you expected us to know if you:
[li]knew what a DSN was or how to create one or[/li]
[li]knew which one to select/create or [/li]
[li]selected one and got an error message or [/li]
[li]knew how/when to use the "Always prompt for new location" check box or[/li]
[li]were prompted for a user name and password or[/li]
[li]were prompted for a security type or[/li]
[li]were prompted for a primary/unique key[/li]

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Duane gave you the correct answer, I don't see why you are complaining.

The phrase 'This is where I get stuck' doesn't tell us anything. Asking you to elaborate is not being "brusque and futile".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back