Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.

phouv2000

Technical User
Jan 26, 2011
CA
Hi All,

I have a problem and hope someone could help me out. I have a home page that have links to several pages. One of the pages that is linked to the home paged is updated regularly.

I would like to be able to have an ICON or some sort of indicator on the homepage that the linked paged has been updated.

I guess it's similar to a 'You got mail' indicator. When the user clicks on the icon - they are redircted to the said page and the indicator no longer appears.

thanks

You would need to set a cookie per visitor, with maybe the last update date. Then have a way to check for a current update on the server if the dates do not match show the icon. If they do match, then you don't.

This would obviously need some kind of programming language, so falls outside the scope of the HTML forum.

The forum216 or the forum of your server side language of choice would be a better place for this question.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

I'm pretty sure you could make Javascript preform what vacunita describes. All you would have to do is link to the required pages said js file containing the date and then you could store the last visit date (or whatever date you wanna use) in the cookie. Now you have two vars that you could use to compare the two.

You would have upload with every update the js file containing the last update date.

[bobafett] BobbaFet [bobafett]
Code:
if not Programming = 'Severe Migraine' then
                       ShowMessage('Eureka!');

Argh, stupid forum posting my stuff too early! No, no PEBCAK either!

Anyhoot! Then you could use javascript to display the icon when the dates do not match by using writeln method.

[bobafett] BobbaFet [bobafett]
Code:
if not Programming = 'Severe Migraine' then
                       ShowMessage('Eureka!');

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back