Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

update from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 has broken wyse60 TERMINAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJZeak

Programmer
May 3, 2008
CA
It typically takes a while to set up these older style terminal emulators, normally only do it once then just forget about it, forever ... well in my case, that has come back to bite me big time.

I have had Progress 11.0 (Character Mode) running perfectly on Ubuntu 14.04 configured for wyse60 with TinyTerm 4.2 in VM 12.0 for several years now (started with something like Ubuntu 12?) ... but ... after upgrading to 16.04 (because 14.04 was complaining about being at EOL), wyse60 no longer appears to work ... Ubuntu's default TERM is set to xterm ... in 14.04, terminal either somehow magically knew to switch to wyse60 when I started a Progress session, or, just magically worked in that mode ... TT has always been configured for wyse60 and has just worked that way forever ... with 16.04, Progress had to be opened with a shell script to force terminal's TERM=term so Progress would work properly ... none of the UBUNTU Terminal settings appear to work with TT wyse60 ... if I manually do a TERM=wyse60 followed by an EXPORT TERM it has no effect ... basically things like backspace, up/down to access cli command history, and ALL wyse60 escape codes are broken ... setting TT emulation to SCOANSI is really close, but all LINE DRAW characters are broken (ugly especially on crowded screens) ... Tried to go back to 14.04 but there appears to be missing links to Drivers needed for the Virtual Screen plus Starting Progress causes a Session Reboot.

Thoughts?

ARGG never mind ... seems this was a catch 22 with both ends being crossed up.

wyse60 is still working in 16.04

and also works in 18.04 LTS

However ... slight annoyance ... not sure how to fix this ... not wanting to change TinyTerm Settings as they have worked seamlessly unchanged with my Progress Applications for Decades ... is there something I can add to the .bash_profile to (I presume) override the set -o vi setting just for these two keys?

With:
SHELL=/bin/bash
TERM=wyse60
set -o vi

- up arrow key exports a ^K ... bash expects an <ESC>K for bash history (Next)

up arrow echos ^K
$ ^K

- down arrow key exports a ^J ... bash expects an <ESC>J for bash history (Previous)

Down arrow echos a new line
$
$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back