Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

update from networker 7.2.1 to 7.3.3 (64 bit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert800

Programmer
Apr 6, 2006
SE
Hello,
iam trying to update my backup server from our old version of networker 7.2.1 (32 bit win 2003 server) to 7.3.3 (64 bits win 2003 server) and of course i want to move all groups, registration, saves sets, etc.

I copy from the server these folders;
C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\res C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\index and C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\mm

And all groups, clients, registration is coming fine along BUT and a big but the saves sets doesnt come along (no saves sets found or something like that)

mminfo -av just shows the "test" client and groups save sets that we put on the new server.

What have i missed and how can i get the saves sets to the new server? othervise we cant upgrade.

Rob.

Hello Robert800,

install the networker software on the new Backup hardware and make a disaster recovery from the networker server.
Restore bootstrap, clientindex ...

hello cyberted,
do you now any good guide for doing a disaster recovery?

Sorry, wrong Section, right Dokument. Just have a look on it.

Thanks Ted i saw the chapter "moving the network server to a new operating enviroment" going to look at it.

The major problem is see will be if the new server will have another name than the old server. This can be done, but it is not straight forward.

To my knowledge there is a chnage in some databases going from 7.2x to 7.3 so there is no supported way of downgrading.
I would install 7.2.2 on the new Server, copy all res, db and index files to the new server.
If everything works well i would do the update to 7.3.3 or better 7.4.1.

We have tried that but it didnt do an update it installed a new networker installation 7.3.3. And no save sets did come along all other things like groups, directives, clients did work fine but no savesets.

How do you do an update installation from 7.2.1 to 7.3.3? is it possible?

//Rob

In the emc guide that Ted posted it says (as i understand it) that you need to connect the robot to the new backup server (today we have it connected to a tape drive as test)

So that means all saves sets is stored on each tapes?

//Rob

If it comes to DR, you only need a compatible tape drive at the server. The correct configuration will actually be restored with the bootstrap.

@robert800 :

How do you do an update installation from 7.2.1 to 7.3.3? is it possible?

Yes ist is possible, with windows you only start the setup.exe and it will make an update.
With Unix/Linux you have to deinstall first and the make an install to the same location. Because the res and db-directories are not deleted by the deinstall they will be found and used and converted if necessary.
The servername is not a major issue, you can use an alias of the old server on the new one.
If its possible use the same name !

I think we solved it with a disaster recovery.

But we have got 2 default groups but how do i delete one of the default group? its says "cant delete the default group"

Rob

Hello,

I have NetWorker 7_3_2_jumbo.Build.386 in W2K server

Fact: I need to restore files from recyclable save set.
I try with scanner –i \\.\Tape1 and nsrmm -S ssid -e "date" -w "date"
But i get this output:
nsrmm: Cannot change browse/retention time of recyclable save set 3755650732

I try again with scanner –i and scanner –m but after running scanner –m the server took to long and slowed to almost stop server

Doubt: on witch save set i must run the scanner command, on index:”client” save set or data save set?

I will be in the wrong direction? How can recover files from recyclable save set.

they can help me?

all problemed solved, the tip is to have the same server name, delete dubbel same name groups policys etc in command prompt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back