Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

update DLL Library 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

123gad

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2001
US
I installed Palm Pilot IIIc, and now I can't print from Palm Pilot, Palm Pilot Technical Support is saying it's a windows problem, to upgrade the DLL Library from the Microsoft website. I can't find it anywhere, any ideas where or how I can get this solved. The computer is a DELL Optiplex 128 MB Ram, windows 98 2nd edition, about 10 month old.
Thanks a lot

Interesting problem.

DLL files are Dynamic Link Library files. Windows uses them to store information that is used by different programs. You will find them listed as filename1.dll filename2.dll and so on. More than one program can read from and write to a .dll file.

The problem with dll's is that when you install software older .dll filles are overwritten. Have you ever noticed how when you install a peice of software you are told that the software wants to install a new .dll file and asks you if you want to keep the old one ?

OK. Now here's the rub. Newer versions of windows have newer versions of the windows .dll files. Sometimes these new versions are needed to be able to run new software. On the other hand some software needs the older .dll files to be able to run. This is tricky.

So ! Here's what you can do.

First make backup copies of the registry. You will find two files in the root directory called user.dat and system.dat these two files are "hidden". You will need to go to Explorer, View, Options and set it to view "all file types".
This allows you to see the files. Then you can copy them. Copy them to user.old and system.old Do not copy them to .bak as these may already exist.

The registry is like a masster list of all files, including .dll files and it is worth making the copies in case something goes wrong later on.

If you don't fancy doing this then you can try making a mirror image copy of your drive using Norton Ghost - get it from ebay for about ten bucks. This will copy your entire hard drive.

Next completely uninstall palm pilot.

Then go to the microsoft web site and find the page that has all the patches and upgrades for your operating system on it. Not sure where it is but I know it's in there somewhere. Download and install all of the product updates. Your windows install will then be completely up to date and you will have all of the windows .dll files which will all be installed correctly.

Now try re-installing the Palm Pilot. Hopefully it will now be working Ok.

If it is not working Ok then I would go ahead and reformat the hard drive and re-install Palm Pilot. That should work and if it doesn't you will be able to go back to Palm Pilot Tech Support and tell you are installing on a clean new Windows install. It isn't working so there must be a problem with their product.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded but I've tried to think of everything you might need to get this fixed. If I have succeded in confusing you or if you want more info then email me privately (eugeneokeeffe@hotmail.com)

All The Best To You

Eujay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back