Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update Database problem? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chopstik

Technical User
Oct 24, 2001
US
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but since I'm working within ASP, I'll start here.

I have several variables I am using to add to two tables within a database. When I run my update command (using VBScript, the rs.update.fields("fieldname") = request.form("fieldname")), I receive an error on the page. However, when I go to review the database, the data IS UPDATED! Additionally, it is being updated to a SQL server db, and the error message is very generic, stating only that "Errors occurred" and giving me a line number.

I thought originally that it might be due to type conversion, and changed them, but the line number that it says has the problem is a text field, and the db field is varchar, so I can't see the problem here.

This is really confusing me. Does anyone know why this is happening or what I can do to correct it? Thanks!

Spencer,

I think I have finally resolved it, so to speak. I do not know what caused the error to keep occurring with the Description field, but I have gotten the update to now work (sigh!). The one problem I found? You'll like this. (Well, I didn't, but it's always the small things that get me.) Count was set as a string, not an integer, so therefore it was never ending, ergo the continuous loop. I amended that to read:

count = cint(request.form("count"))

and it seemed to fix the problem. It doesn't explain to me the issue with line 60, but the application now appears to work, so I'm not going to worry with it anymore.

I owe you a great deal of thanks for your suggestions and help in trying to resolve this for the better part of the morning. If there's anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know. Thanks again! :)

That's what I was working on when I came up with the solution. I think it still would have come back with similar results based on the problems I was having, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back