Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update catalog and Joins after table structure change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdebo2

Technical User
May 17, 2002
US
Please forgive me I am new to Cognos. I have search the forum for this question and found similar ones, but none that I could apply. I am using Impromptu Admin, version 7.0

I am working with an existing catalog, which has a lot of folders. One of the tables has dramatically changed structure (from 20 fields to 2 fields), but the table name is the same. I can get into the catalog tables window and refresh the tables on the database side, but how to I tell Congos that the structure changed on the Catalog Side, if I click add (with the table highlighted) it adds the table a 2nd time. Or would it be better to remove the original table and so I can add the new one?

I will also need to update the join for this table. I can see how to add joins (through Catalog | Joins menu), but I did not find a place to see the existing joins or how to change them.

Thanks for your help.
Scott

sdebo2,

I would work with a copy of the original catalog. First document the joins in the catalog, which can be done without connecting to the database. Then remove the original table and folder from the catalog (which also removes the join reference) and replace it with the new table. Recreate the joins, and position the folder as desired. Any existing reports will have to be modified to deal with any references to the now missing table columns.

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

On a general point of view this looks very complex to me, as it is for real.

How is this handled within ReportNet ?

I do this a bit differently than Dave. Using Dave's method, any existing report would fail as it would not find the original fields referenced.

From tables, highlight the new fields and add them to the existing table. To be able to use these in folders, you'll have to hit the generate button, and generate the new fields from the database. Just copy and manipulate as needed.

For joins, from the join box, double click on any of the table names on the left. The tables joined directly will appear below with a little arrow. In the bottom of the box, you can click on any of the tables and see how it is joined.

Cindy,

Good point about column references in general, but in this particular case, with the table going from 20 columns down to only 2, they are going to have to touch the existing reports anyway.

Dave G.

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back