Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update based on IF Statement 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvannoy

MIS
May 4, 2001
US
I really need from the experts on this one...

what I need to do is, create a procedure that updates one field based on about 800 different options. I will run this procedure every hour based on a date field in the database..

only if the field that needs updating is NULL..

can anyone give me a starting point on this? or is there a much better way to do this??

any help would be appreciated

Thanks guys

If you can give us a few examples of what you want to achieve, we may be able to find a more elegant solution...

Siggy.

Yes, w/o examples it would be difficult to speculate.
However, you may consider using a mapping table. A static table with all the 800 combinations built in as 800 records then you can do your update by joining to this table.

Patrick

OK, heres would be some examples

the field thats needs updating is called P_CODE
in the table there is another field called A_CODE

there are a possible 800 A_CODES to choose from.

also there is a LoginDate of the record..

Now what I need to do is

if A_CODE = 'XYZ' then P_CODE = '7000'

in my UPDATE Statement I would then want it to only look at todays and yesterdays records(based off the logindate) that were NULL..

Thanks

Did you consider the mapping table

Update your_table
Set p_code = mt.A_code
From mappingTable mt
Where your_table.LoginDate between dt1 and dt1
and your_table.p_code is null
and mt.A_code = your_table.A_Code

This would require you to have all possibe P_Codes in the mappingTable for all possible A_Codes so your mappingTable would have to have at least two columsn A_code and P_code.

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back