Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update and Refresh errors with ADO

Status
Not open for further replies.

DK47

Programmer
Jun 3, 2003
US
I have just about finished an application for requisitioning construction contracts. Most of the bugs have been handled but I can't seem to figure out what to do about "empty table data".
When I program I input bogus data to work with for testing and debugging. The problem I have is when I empty all the tables, before packaging and deploying, so that my user can have a clean data base, the application crashes as the pages load. My feeling is that this happens because the tables are empty. If I go to the Visual Data Manager and install data in each table, the program runs as designed.
This may be helped with location and or instances of the "Refresh" methods I have used. Pretty much all the ADO controls for my program require changing the "RecordSource" via code and user input.

Has this been a problem for anyone else? Any suggestions on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dwight

there is a few things i do that are similar to your problem..one thing is I go to the last record and grab an ID and + by 1..well if there is no records in the table of course something like that wont work...so what I do is create the first record in the table and in one of the fields type in dummy record..

I know the experts here probally can come up with a much better solution but it was no big deal for me to do this..I dont know if it is for you..

Hi Dwight,

If you want your users to work with a perfectly new database, you need to do this before you use codes to input data into database: adodc1.recordset.addnew.

You need to use the addnew function when working with a clean database

Hi lone84,
I am just finishing up a requisition tracking program. I'll go back an try your suggestion on a few tables. Thank you very much.
I'll let you know how it works out.
Dwight

PS
To dvannoy,
Thanks for your input.
Any help is great help.
lone84 seems to have the solution for this.
Thanks again,
Dwight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back