Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update an excel VBA userform from MS Access VBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveBenson

Programmer
Jun 24, 2008
GB
Hi,

Does anyone know how to update the value of an excel vba userform control from access VBA?

Provided the UserForm is loaded:
UserForm1.NameOfControl.Value = UpdatedValue

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Hi,

Thanks for this, although it doesn't seem to work. If I'm in Excel VBA and have the userform open it does. But with Access VBA I don't think it's recognising 'userform1' as an excel userform. I need some way of pointing MS Access to the userform in the MS excel file.

How about posting ALL your code so we can see exactly what you are referring to.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

What about something like this ?
yourXLobj.UserForm1.NameOfControl.Value = UpdatedValue

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

OK, there's lots of ways I will use this code once I get it working. But to give an example, the excel file that is open is called "pivot control.xls". Within this, there is a loaded userform called "dk", with a textbox called "txtname".
From a module in my Access file I want to be able to control the value of "txtname". If I try:

Public Sub example()
Dim XL_APP As Object
Set XL_APP = GetObject(, "Excel.Application")
Dim XL_BOOK As Excel.Workbook
Set XL_BOOK = XL_APP.Workbooks("Pivot control.xls")
XL_BOOK.dk.txtname.Value = "Test"

End Sub

If I try to run this, I get the message "Object doesn't support this property or method" for the last line.

Have you looked at the Object Browser? Objects have PARENT objects. You have to have the correct parent.
Code:
XL_BOOK.dk.[b][i]SomeFormObject[/i][/b]txtname.Value = "Test"
assuming that txtname is a Control on a FORM.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Hi Skip,

I don't quite follow (admittidly I'm a bit hazy on objects etc!)
"txtname" is a textbox control within the userform "dk"
I loosely thought that this would make "dk" the parent object of "txtname". Does there need to be something else in there as well?
I had thought that the problem was higher up in the hirachy ie xl_book.dk is not being recognised as the userform dk - if I was trying to do the update from Excel VBA, dk.txtname.value="test" would work ok.

Thanks,

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back