Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Up to Office XP from 2000 WITHOUT upgrading VBA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madcow67

Technical User
Aug 23, 2001
US
I know it sounds ridiculous, and I am furious at having to even try this at all, but our users have all been issued macros which run fine under Office 2000.

When upgraded to Office XP some don't run at all (compile errors), some don't do what they're supposed to at all, some wreak complete havoc - this one chaps my hide the worst! A very very simple macro created to flow a paragraph which was broken with hard returns, i.e., a simple FIND & REPLACE in the selection only, searching down but not replacing all - now it replaces all without asking, even though in the code the 'findask' command is there!

Okay, I know, enough already. ;-)

Anyhow, from my research it appears that the upgrade to VBA XP is the cause. So is there anyway to NOT upgrade VBA when installing XP?

Red, White & Blue: Colors That Never Run!

Kristina McCook
Senior Logistician
CACI - Automated Sciences Group, Inc.

Nope - VBA is bound to excel. You got xl xp, you got vba xp
although I have to say that I'm surprised you are having so many issues. We've just upgraded from 97 to XP and I have a LOT of macros.....none of which seem to be affected

Rgds
Geoff
Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Hi Kristina,

I'm having a similar issue with some macros I wrote. They work fine with Excel 2000, but fail when running against Excel XP. In particular, I have a macro that copies/pastes rows that contain pick lists - via Selection Validation. The macros work perfectly with Excel 2000, but, on Excel XP, create empty pick lists on cells that should have pick lists, and add pick lists to cells that shouldn't.

I haven't been able to get to the bottom of it...not sure if I have a bug in my code, or Excel VBA does.

Regards,
Greg Fawcett

Greg - Post the code in a new thread and I'm sure someone'll take a look

Rgds
Geoff
Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Greg, I think xlbo's on the right course--post some code and let the masses take a peak.

Also, has the OS itself changed at all? Or just the apps?

Any problems I've had running VBA I wrote with Office 2000 (on Win NT) on Office XP (on Win XP) was caused by problems either at the OS level (mostly regional settings differences from the change from NT to XP) or in the way the actual data in the files themselves had been altered upon loading the Office 2000 files into Office XP (eg: in particular, dates and times had all become corrupt--but this was the actual data in the documents themselves, and thus the VBA code couldn't process the corrupt data). I haven't had any problems with the VBA code itself. Mind you, you mentioned paragraphs, which means you're VBA is probably Word, while mine is Excel and Access, so there may be some differences there.

xlbo and krinid -

Thanks for your insights and offer for assistance!

My system has W2K SP2 with Office 2000 SR-1 (worked ok)
Failure system #1: W2000 SP3, Office XP
Failure system #2: WinXP, Office XP

My VBA code was for Excel.

I made some unrelated changes to improve funtionality of my project, and mysteriously my issues have disappeared on the two problematic systems. So, I'm in good shape for now, though it bugs me that I can't pinpoint the change!

Regards,
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back