Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

up grade 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Mar 8, 2003
US
I have windows xp pro running on an older asus P4 mother board and want to upgrade to my new Amd mother board. The thing is that I want my hard drive and setting along with all my installed programs to be carried over to the new system exactly as they are. Some of the programs I dont have the origanl disk to reinstall again and plus i just realy love my set up and I am very used to it. I tried just puting the old drive into the new system and booting.
It actualy booted to xp then I got the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH. I am willing to chang hard drives if a must but dont want to loose installed programs. Is this possible? If it is can some one please help?

You received the blue screen due to driver issues. When putting in the old drive to the new system one of the drivers it's attempting to load must be causing the page fault.

This one could come back to be a pain in the rear so take it with caution, would be to boot to safe mode and remove several of the older drivers, via device manager, and let windows rediscover these on boot up (things like the motherboard, video card, etc...). IF this works you'll just have to install the new drivers, if it doesn't you'd have to install the old drivers to get this drive to properly boot into the old system (Note: Please do not attempt this if you don't have the original drivers handy).

Another thing to attempt is to get a new hard drive, load that up as a primary and your old drive as secondary, then use the Windows XP settings importer to attempt to move over your settings. I BELIEVE that this can also import programs as well, but I have not used it. I do know that a link on how to use the importer was recently (a week or so) posted on Tek-tips.

You might could turn the old drive into a "slave" drive by changing the jumpers on the rear. You would have to install a new drive and make it the primary drive with the o/s on it. A little trouble and some extra money but if the software is that important to you might work out for you

I think the safe mode idea may work. I do remember that the system tried to start then it crashed. When I posted the error message on google it said something of a driver, but I did not know how to prvent it from catching those drivers.

Thank You I will try this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back