Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UNWANTED WORKGROUP KEEPS APPEARING 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aguilar

Technical User
Aug 14, 2002
MX
hello everyone

an unwanted workgroup keeps appearing in my net connections. its called in diferent ways. now is "country". when i try to open it, i get a message saying i dont have enough privileges to do it. if i delete it, it will appear again with a different name.

i have a small net with w98 and xp stations. the problem is in a xp station where i have a cablemodem and im sharing internet trough it. i have administrative privileges in it too and i have only one workgroup called "todos" that in english means everyone.

does anybody knows why is this happening?

thanks in advance and i apologize, english is not my first language.

aguilar

No, I do not know why it is appearing.

I should not if your have firewalls active.

For the XP firewall ICS Host machine, enable immediately the ICF native XP Firewall, then look for better alternatives. Note: enable ICF only on the Internet connection, not the LAN connection. Otherwise your clients my well not be able to share.

THANKS BCASTNER FOR YOUR REPLY!!

my xp firewall was already enabled (or at least it says so in the advanced tab). can you suggest me some of the better alternatives? im afraid of a virus. i have norton up to date. but in one of the stations was found an "unknown" virus and i couldnt send it to symantec because it was a zip file and they did not allow this kind of files to be sent.

any comments will be appreciated.

aguilar

Firewall on the WAN or internet side, not just the LAN side? Having ICS on the LAN side would not help.

On the ICS Host, two scans from smah's FAQ, I use Trend Micro and Panda: faq760-3862

For the "unknown" virus workstation, the same.

Head to the Windows Update site for all machines, ASAP.

Bill

Beware if you have a wireless router that someone isnt leeching your internet connection through 802.11b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back