Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unwanted update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnailUK

Technical User
Apr 9, 2002
GB
I have had Automatic Update set on my Windows XP Pro machine, with the option to manually select and install the updates I want.

It is now offering me one I do not want to install, but even if I un-tick the box next to it it still ofers it to me via the shield in the system tray. How can I get rid of it? I did a registry search for it, found one entry and deleted it, but it's still there!!

In have now disabled automatic update and will check manually from now on!

For most updates, set the Automatic Update feature to notify but do not download or install.

When you get a notification, the window will include an options selection to "Hide" the hotfix or update.

There are some hotfixes or other softwares that are viewed by Microsoft as of "High Priority", and can only be blocked long-term with a SUS server (System Update Server).

Are you talking about the the Malicious Malware Detection tool. That download refuses to die and keeps offering downloads for every past month, going back for about a year. This is often noticeable after re-installing Windows.

Normally all you have to do is untick the box and close the update information box which generates another message box where you tick "never notify me about this download again".

The Malicious Malware Detection tool (sic) is updated all the time and the newest version is likely offered during the second Tuesday of the Month security patch day. Note: it is run but not downloaded and saved. You can get the most recent version from Microsoft downloads.

This following paragraph refers to a re-install of XP (or any similar action which removes records of Windows Updates), as a precursor to this sad state of affairs I am relating.

Trouble is that if you reject the July version of the Malicious Software Removal tool, and are asking to be notified when updates are available, but not to download them, you can reject the July version of the tool, but a few minutes later you will be offered the June version, and if you reject that, a few minutes later you will be offered the May version, and so on, and on, all the way back to about July last year when the tool first appeared.

If I had to guess, it would be the WGAN (or should it be WGS?) tool (905474) rather than the Malicious Malware detector (890830).

Right first time Glenn9999!

I honestly don't know if my copy is genuine, byt a friend who does have a proper version installed the WGAN thingy and it told him it wasn't. He then spent hours trying to sort it out with Microsoft. I just don't need that hassel. I'm happy as I am and s*d Microsoft!

Linney, I tried unticking the box and closing it, but it never gave me the opportunity to 'never notify me again'.....but why should it if big brother is out to get us?

Thank's guys.

So I guess if you have a version of WGA outside of what is detailed in KB 921914, you're SOL? Damn...

So let me get this straight in my head, Automatic Updates is a different issue than WGA, no? WGA has nothing to do with updating software, just bumping MS servers checking for pirated software?

Thanks.

So let me get this straight in my head, Automatic Updates is a different issue than WGA, no?

Yes, different issue. One of the WGA modules keeps getting reoffered to the original poster.

WGA has nothing to do with updating software, just bumping MS servers checking for pirated software?

No WGA is a software update. It installs software onto your system which runs and is resident upon startup. The notifications module also phones home to Microsoft - one reason that it's spyware.

Module #1 is 734K, Module #2 is 1000K, and both install onto your computer if loaded.

as far as I'm aware, this describes the removal of the 905474 module adequately, though there are automated tools for it now that you can download from different places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back