Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unwanted Transparent Auto Reply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Footnotes

Technical User
Jul 30, 2002
US
I have a person who is sending me emails that give him an automatic reply that is transparent to me and something i want to stop. This person has a system engineering background and know computers quite well. He is somehow bypassing my "auto reply" message block where I determine if the auto reply is sent or not.

I am using XP SP2 and Outlook Express. His emails are the only ones sending a transparent reply. The reply looks like I hit the "Reply" button and sent the message with out any text. The message gets listed in my Sent folder.

Does anyone know how this is being done?

do you have Outlook configured to provide read receipts? You can configure it to NOT provide reciepts, or are you referring to this being beyond that feature in the Mail options

Tom

Have you run a virus and spyware scan on your system yet?

It sounds a rather odd scenario, can you give more info ?

I will turn off the read receipts feature as suggested. To Paulha, I really can't give much more info other that the fact that the person is a very paranoid person and yesterday every email I received from sent a reply as soon as I opened it. No other email did this and I had emails that requested read receipts that acted as they should. His emails sent only one reply when opened multiple times.

It was fairly obvious that the person was trying to catch me in a lie since one of his emails languished in my Spam folder for two days before I found it (This is starting to sound like that astronaut news story LOL). He did not believed my explanation for taking so long to get back to him.

Yes, Adware and Norton scans were run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back