Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unwanted restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

La7oea

Technical User
Feb 21, 2002
DK
My PC sometimes goes into an unwanted restart after the screensaver comes on.
It's XP Professional.
Any ideas

Øystein (We take fewer prisoners than Djenghis Khan)

Are you sure it's restarting? Or are you seeing the Welcome screen when you come back to it?

If you're getting the Welcome screen upon returning, right-click on an empty area of the desktop & select Properties. Click the Screen Saver tab and uncheck 'On resume display the Welcome Screen'

It's a complete reboot. (We take fewer prisoners than Djenghis Khan)

In that case, the first step is to stop it from rebooting so that you can see the BSOD message. Right click on My Computer, Advanced tab, Startup & Recovory Settings button, ucheck Automatically Restart.

The second thing is to check the event viewer. Start, Run, eventvwr.msc

Post back with what you find when this happens.

I had a computer that I just sold because it would just reboot on it's own. I think it was a bad Power Supply. The case got very warm. The strange thing is that it would seemed to only reboot when I had Norton Antivirus for Win XP loaded with auto-protect enabled. I'm not sure if Norton caused this problem. Check to see if Norton is loaded or check for bad Power Supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back