Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unwanted/Joke Program Removal...Adware/Spyware

Status
Not open for further replies.

addus5

Technical User
Jun 20, 2003
US
Has anyone turned these options on in a large scale environment. If so did it have any negative impact. Im trying to find out if Mcafee holds its own in adware/spyware removal against programs like Adware and Spybot. If only it had a built in pop-up blocker.......

I have these options turned on but it's not going to perform like you are expecting it to. It does what it says when it says detect but it won't actually remove anything. We have clients that have hotbar and gator installed that always get VS messages but since the files are in use VS isn't able to do anything with them. Supposedly with the new version of VS, 7.5, the ability to actually remove the program, like adaware, is added.

I heard that in verion 7.0 it deletes the files but in version 7.1 it wont remove the programs. If I cant only report on it thats find because if users have gator installed we can just go bust them for it =). Have you had any problems with trusted applications or errors with the unwanted program detection? Yeah im on the beta list for 7.5 and cant wait to see what functionality it has. The buffer overflow detection seems interesting.

The only thing that I've seen with the unwanted programs detection with 7.1 is that it displays and virus notification. Most times users will see this and call our help desk and they'll walk the user through installing Ad-aware and it'll fix the problem. It's more of an annoyance it seems like than a problem.

Do you have virus notifications set for virus's also. I know there is a setting to disable and enable nofications for virus's I wondering if its the same for unwanted/joke programs. We have a huge environment and wouldnt want to worry the users or overload the helpdesk.

I don't think you can disable for one and enable for the other. It's either enabled or disabled.

I enabled Joke programs the other day in epo 2.51 after talking to Mcafee and our e-mail alerts spiked pretty high right after. we use 7.0 it did not do a good job of cleaning or quarentening and we had to manually uninstall those apps/files/exe's and then finally took the joke/unwanted programs off. Precision time was bringing the most reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back