Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unwanted files downloading

Status
Not open for further replies.

edfair

Technical User
Apr 17, 2000
US
Just had a phone call from my computer's technical support site telling me my computer is downloading unwanted files.

So I asked him which computer he was talking about and he told me it was my Windows computer using 7.

So I asked him what files and he gave me a list and asked me to help him correct the problem.

So then I told him my computer was XP and he hemmed and hawed. Actually that was a lie but since the 7s are not active right now I feel sure I will be forgiven.

Then I asked him if he recognized that I was aware that he was a scam.

Click

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Point of this post?? Are you bragging about thwarting the scammers???!!!
You should have given them access to your machine but first set a very explicit pron picture as your desktop background. Yuks all around.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

More to the point that the scammers assume that users are on 7, best bet currently, but not a slam dunk.

Had I been at the work area I might have given him a shot at one of the SE partitions.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I get one of those calls about once a week from Indian call centers.

Jim

I never get any of those calls. I want one of those calls to have some fun. I never have any fun.

The last call like that I had lasted about 25 seconds and the final word spoken was "off"!

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

blast off
kick off
lift off
buzz off
oh............................ got it.

I normally pick up the receiver but I don't say anything. Quite a few of these callers just hang up if they don't hear you saying anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back