Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unwanted Beep with MESSAGEBOX()

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunc0029

Programmer
Jan 9, 2003
US
This is more of a windows issue, I'm thinking, but I thought I'd ask here because it's happening in a FoxPro application. One of our users is suddenly getting a BEEP when a MESSAGEBOX() comes up. This is not functionality built into the app. I run the same EXE from my workstation and get no beep. She even turned her sound to mute and it still beeps. I went into her control panel and even turned all the sound WAV files to (none) and we still got the beep. Any ideas? Thanks!

Jason

Did they install an old style speaker? :)

That's a peculiar one...

Maybe something's gone awry with the sound subsystem itself...

BTW/ The default behaviour of the messagebox() is to beep...

Darrell

Yep, I just re-realized the default is to beep, but the weird thing is that muting doesn't prevent it! The speaker is just the PC speaker that came with the box, I assume. This behavior just started happening today ( didn't happen yesterday ). The only thing I can imagine changing is if the desktop folks pushed out some new drivers or something overnight??? Still seems bizarre that muting would not stop the sound.

I referred her to our help desk ( I'm a programmer ) - not sure if she'll go through with it or just live with annoying her neighbors. It's just bugging me now that I can't figure out the problem.

Jason

Geoff, I even tried assigning those noises to the "(none)" option, as well as having all sound muted and it was still beeping!

If there is an internal speaker in the computer, muting the sound system may not help.

Open the box and cut the wire :)

Darrell

Thanks for the help - guess I'll file this in the "gremlin" category. I referred her to our help desk as I'm "just" a programmer here ... I'm not sure whether she'll follow up. It's the kind of thing that makes you scratch your head ( especially since it started happening spontaneously ).

Followed this thread - Also found it in Win2000 forum.
You gotta love this!

Open case, find PC speaker connectors on the mobo and pull the cable away from them then close the case. When you have proper external speakers the PC speaker is useless.

The technical expression for this is a 'Noisendectomy' it's a common operation just after Christmas, if the batteries haven't run out and the toys bought as presents are still beeping and whining!

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Sorry a7e,

SET BELL OFF has no effect on the messagebox.

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Jason,

Just thinking, is this beep on 1 pc with each and every Messagebox without execption? If yes go on with other solutions, if no maybe the beep is the famous error warning. Check the pc could be a file missing or other malfunction.

Hope this meditation helps to solve your problem.

Regards,

Koen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back