Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unusual number of beeps from Athlon motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhubarbandcustard

Instructor
Jan 13, 2003
GB
I have a slotA athlon 700 processor - purchased second hand and told working; A board that was new and unused- presumed working (gigabyte GA-7VM - award bios).

Having added 32Mb pc100 (known working), 4Mb AGP (again working and tested), 230W PSU (again, like a dream); the system does not boot-
upon pressing the start button (shorting the pins) the fans all spin, keyboard lights power up, led lights upon board, any Hdds spin fine; then the speaker emits two short beeps, short pause, NINE short beeps, pause then a final two short beeps. The VDU is never prompted to come out of it's standby state. NOWHERE can i find any reference to a beep code even vaguely similar to this(tried AWARD's website and Gigabyte's site)

I am 99.9%sure that the jumpers/ dips are set correctly on the board (bus speed set to 100Mhz, PCI to 33.3 with a 5% spectrum) and everything is seated properly

If anyone has any idea, i would be eternally grateful :)

The memory is fine as long as you have the top performance disabled in the BIOS, which I believe is the default setting anyway.

The problem here would appear to be the uncertainty that surrounds the CPU. you have been good enough to reveal it is second-hand and "Status Unknown". You obviously have your doubts.

I would say that you already know what should be done - you need to ascertain the status of the CPU. Either get another (known to be working )CPU for your motherboard or have the CPU tested.

The mobo could be faulty - which is why I would try another "good" cpu in it to verify its condition.

What happens when you remove the CPU and try to post?

Regards. Running a PC without backups is like driving a car without a seatbealt. Your knack'ed when you crash!

Quality link Phil - I will be adding that to my favourites.

Now check your mail box :)

Regards,

John. Running a PC without backups is like driving a car without a seatbealt. Your knack'ed when you crash!

230 Watt PS is the 1st place I'd check...test it with a meter.
My SWAG is that the system has been overclocked and it may take resetting the BIOS to all defaults...and clocking down a bit where you can. (what I'd do)
Good possibility (with the BIOS getting all wacky) the motherboard is going.
Easiest way in the long run may be to do as Win98user suggests...testing with other known-good components.

I may be mistake but the model of Mother Board you are speaking of comes with a 2Mbit Flash RAM AMI BIOS not a Award bios. This would explain why you can not find a beep code simular to the one your experiancing.

hai
since ur saying ur cannot find the code for the beeps ur hearing i would suggest u to use POST CARDS its easy to use them it has a(post card) 2 character led display to identfy the problem but make sure which BIOS ur using, see for meaning for the code it had dispayed in the manual of post card. if it displays ff or 00 post is completed. its easy to install it just fix it in any empty slot and switch on the system

Howdy:

9 beeps: ROM BIOS Checksum Failure:

Indicates faulty BIOS chip(s). It is not likely that this error can be corrected by re-seating the chips. Consult the motherboard supplier or an AMI product distributor for replacement part(s).

You need a new motherboard !!

Murray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back