Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unusable part of LCD Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvalley

MIS
Apr 30, 2003
US
We have a Dell Latitude D600 running XP Pro. Recently, the user switched some setting which caused the following problem: There is a strip across the top of the display about 1/2 inch wide where the cursor may travel, but no window can be moved into. Also, any item on the desktop when moved to that part of the display, will seem to move beneath it. The desktop picture extends to the entire screen (covering the strip) so it is invisible until you try to move something to it. Any ideas? I suspect it is something stupid which I have not thought of yet.

Sounds to me like it may be a blank Toolbar that has been created/added and has no icons in it.

That sems reasonable. Now, how do I get rid of it? I cannot do anything with it. I cannot get properties or any indication that it exists. Microsoft says that it may be a toolbar moved from the task bar (that would make it invisible-by design), but they don't say how to get rid of it.

If it is indeed a Toolbar as Microsoft suggest then it should appear in the Appl;ications tab of the Windows Task Manager.

For example if you have the address bar undocked from the main taskbar then you should have an application Titled Address in the Applications Tab.

Ctrl - Shift - Esc to display the Task Manager and see if there is anything you would not expect.

Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

I just tried that... no good. Whatever it is does not show up in the Task Manager. Perhaps it is not a toolbar. The end user thaought that it might be a Norton System Doctor toolbar, but I cannot get Norton to give me any control over that part of the application. Usually there is an icon in the taskbar, but there is not one anymore.

I can't think of a quick way of doing this, just a trial and error way.

Start > Run > Msconfig > Click Ok

Select Diagnosic Startup then click Apply and restart. See if the bar appears.

If so then you know that it is not due to some item that has been installed and is causing a problem.

Hopefully it will not appear, in this case you should go back into msconfig and this time select Normal Startup, click on the Startup tab and untick all items.

Restart

Then keep adding one of the startup items back and restarting until the bar appears. You will then know what application is causing the problem.

Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back