Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unsing FileSystemObject with a share from another server

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2004
US
I'm trying to uyse the FileSystemObject to open a file. Everything works fine when the file is on the C:\ drive, but I get permission errors when I try to pull it from a shared folder on the network. Can someone please tell me what steps are involved to set up these permissions correctly?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

By default, IIS uses a local account named IUSR_MachineName for web access.

Since it is a local account it doesn't have any access to other machines in your domain.

You can configure IIS security to use a different account but be very careful because that account will become a big liability for you if security is breached on your server.

If I absolutely had to do it then I'd get a new account and assign it only the abosolute minimum priviliages that are needed to do what you need. Also I would take advantage of IIS's ability to set the security by folder and file so that all of the rest of my site continued to use the weak local account and only the files or folders that absolutely needed the elevated permissions would have it.

Thanks for the help, Sheco.

I see where to add users and set permissions within IIS, but how do I set the page to use the new account?

Thanks again,
Dave

Inside the IIS Admin tool... the MMC SnapIn. Look at the property sheet for the page or folder where you want to change the security.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back