Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unresponsive Windows 98 SE bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevebass

IS-IT--Management
Dec 1, 2005
CA
Well this problem happens all the time with my computer. I would just be using a windows 98 application (under windows) and the computer would become unresponsive. I would be able to still move my mouse cursor around but clicking on anything on the screen would do nothing. I am then able to restart my computer by ctrl-alt-deleting, so my computer doesn't totally become unsponsive which brings me to the conclusion that there is something wrong with my windows. Also I am able to run full screen windows games on my computer fine with no lockups (such as Quake 3, Baldur's Gate, Diablo II, ect ).

Anyone have any suggestions, anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

When it locks up, you say you can still do CTRL ALT DEL. If you look in the task manager window. Are any of the programs not responding???

Paul

if i ctrl alt delete i don't bring up task manager. If i hit it once nothing happens, I have to ctrl alt delete a couple times before the computer reboots.

You don't say what programs you happen to have open;however, if by chance you are unning one of the Office 2000 programs when you notice that your workstation icons are frozen, although your mouse still works....here's what I found to be the culprit - the Office 2000 task bar freezes the taskbar icons. First thing you can do to workaround this is to disable the task bar from loading, make your own desk top short cuts. Additionally, the SR-1 patch from Microsoft appears to totally clear up this problem.

You don't say what programs you happen to have open; however, if by chance you are running one of the Office 2000 programs when you notice that your workstation icons are frozen, although your mouse still works....here's what I found to be the culprit - the Office 2000 task bar freezes the desktop icons. First thing you can do to workaround this is to disable the Office task bar from loading, make your own desk top short cuts. Additionally, the SR-1 patch from Microsoft appears to totally clear up this problem.

Nope don't have Office 2000, my computer becomes totally locked up except for the mouse. I have a feeling i need an updated version of desk.cpl but microsoft won't return my emails.

Any other suggestions?

Steve,

If you just need a file, could you extract it from the cab files. Or if you want it emailed let me know, my date stamp on desk.cpl is 23/4/99..

Paul

Kind suggestion. Instead of using that dastardly Office shortcut bar, and you're using Win98+ or at least have IE4 on your Win95+, make a folder named "Office Stuff" or whatever and create a toolbar for that folder and copy the shortcuts for Word, Excel and whatever to it by simple drag and drop. The toolbar loads with Windows and is a lot faster because you can have text labels for all the icons on it.

I have found on occassion that a corruption of the ActiveX drivers has caused the problem you have discribed. Try downloading the critical updates for ActiveX from MS. Also do you have Norton's on your system. If so use Windoctor to find out what other program or programs are causing the corruption.

Just a thought.

Steven Walker
strider@paradise.net.nz

Brainbench MVP Computer Technician

Thanks Hunter, I downloaded the update for ActiveX. I'll be sure to let you know if it corrected the problem.

-Steve

Nope, my computer still freezes sometimes. Any other suggestions?

Steve do you have availability to Norton Utilities at all. If so run windoctor. It should give you a base to work from. It can sometimes repair the problem but not always.

I tried to replicate the problem you described on one of my test machines, but was unable to. It does seem to be in the windows and application interface....

If you do not have Nortons you may be able to download a demo version fron somewhere like ZDNet or even Symantec...sorry I can not do more at the present.

Steven Walker
strider@paradise.net.nz

Perhaps a video problem? Try:
-Control Panel
--Display Icon
---Advance Button
----Performance Tab
-----Hardware Aceleration
------Slider to "none"
reboot
Still have the problem?

I should have asked you what equipment you are running. I should shoot myself some days...spoo just jogged my memory. to it. Some of the S3 and Viper PCI cards have a tendency to cause the problem. It is mainly in the drivers. I haven't seen it in any of the later AGP cards as yet but have heard the VooDoo2 does under certain setups. So can you list your hardware and send it to me. I then can go thru my workshop files for you.

Steven Walker
strider@paradise.net.nz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back