Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unregistered Operating System

Status
Not open for further replies.

computerlady143

Technical User
Apr 2, 2008
US
I seemed to have gotten Great Please installed - it lets me log in then it says and rightly so - You've attempted to use Dynamics in an environment that you have not registered for and it only gives me the options for Windows 3.1 and Windows 95. We originally had it installed on Windows 95. I have now installed it on Windows XP. Is there somewhere in an .ini file or something that I can change the operating system?

Hi,

Version 5 of Great Plains was released in 1998 and WinXP was only released in 2001. You have that three year gap working against you. Also, the registered versions of the OS are controlled by the registration keys for the accounting system and it is doubtful that you could get a new set of registration keys for software that is over a decade old and has gone through a company sale (Great Plains to Microsoft).

Is the old Win95 machine dead? Do you know what database was being used? Can you find your Win95 media and install it on an older machine temporarily so that you can get your data? Perhaps the path of least resistance is to bite the bullet and have an outside party take the database apart to recover the data.

Lyle
----
"For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." - Arthur C. Clarke.

No it still being used on a Windows 95 system. I just didn't want to interrupt the user. Would it run on Windows NT or Windows 2000? I simply trying to get list info - customers, vendors, AR balances etc. We are upgrading them to a new computer and different accounting system. GP is to much for them they are a single user and Don't want to pay everything they need to get up t speed on GP. And like I said it more than they need. Do you have the ODBC settings so I can export the data to Excel? I have access to old computer running Windows NT or Windows 2000 don't remeber have to check.

Thanks so much

When I installed the software on my XP computer it said for Windows NT ?

It windows 2000 or is it dictated by the Keys and only will work on Windows 3.1 or Windows 95?

AFAIK this is totally governed by the registration keys.

You might try running the program on your XP machine in Win95 compatibility mode. That is left click the exe file, go to properties, select the compatibility tab and chose Win 95. It might work.

Lyle
----

I have tried that and this is what happens when I use Windows 95 or Windows 98 Compatablity mode. I am attaching 2 screen shots that show the error that I get.

First, Win 98 is not in your list of registered operating systems.

As to the errors, it appears that the database engine is attempting to load multiple times. I would just click OK and proceed further. The second error indicates that the program cannot find the location of the data. If I remember correctly, this is held in the pathnames file, but I cannot remember where that file is located.

Where did you load the program - that is where is the program located in your file structure? Also, where are the data files located in relation to the program?

Lyle

Lyle
----

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back