Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unrecoverable hardware or system error on PS 6.0.1 startup - WIN 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

pain4u

Technical User
Jun 26, 2001
US
(PLEASE, HELP ME IF YOU CAN!!)

I am convinced that it is not my hardware, the problem I am having MUST be because of me running Windows 2000 Professional (I have loaded it on the same machine with Windows ME prior to upgrading to Win 2k Pro).

"Unable to continue because of a hardware or system error. Sorry, but this error is unrecoverable!" ...that is is the error that has been my nightmare ever since I loaded PS 6.0.1 onto my win2k machine -- It gives me this error on intilization, right when it gets to loading my Fonts.

I have checked the Adobe support forums & knowledge base...I wasn't able to find anything on my problem. I have tried disabling some .dll files (and my font .lst file) and also recreating my Photoshop preferances file. None of that worked, I am guessing I need to disable multiple files or edit the registry or some crap like that, but I have no clue which ones or how many. My only hope is that someone with this same problem fixed theirs...or someone knows the answer somehow!

I would appreciate any response or help on this problem!

Thanx!
-PAINKILLER
{..}~("Will someone respond??")

No, I don't...it's just the full retail version of PhotoShop 6.0.1, I know that Elements has a support page on the Adobe web site (it didn't help)...ActiveShare.dll & PictureCD.dll aren't anywhere on my system. Maybe PS has the same file but named differently?? I don't know.

I am also running the latest SP from Microsoft on Windows 2000 Professional (Service Pack 2), and I have the latest drivers for all my hardware/devices. Something just doesn't want to work with WIN 2K....Any ideas??

I have a feeling it has something to do with my Fonts. What is strange, is that I had it working before on this computer. It just one day (after I installed Adobe Acrobat 4.05) didn't want to work anymore and started giving me that error on start up. VERY STRANGE! Actually, when I first installed PS 6.0 it didn't want to work....and was giving me that error, then all of a sudden it magically starts to work for about a month or 2. Then I install Adobe Acrobat 4.05, and it didn't want to work after that...and neither did Acrobat...I had to uninstall it.

Something is messed up, I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY RESPONSE!! OR THOUGHTS & IDEAS!

- PAINKILLER

Here's the solution: Turn off the Anti-Virus program while in Photoshop if you are working the Windows 2000 Professional program, simple as that.

LOL, I don't use an anti-virus program. And it turns our it was a Truetype font that was giving me that nasty error.

All fixed already! ;) But thanx anyways

I'm getting the same exact problem with PS 6.0, and I recently added some fonts- Pain4u, how did you discover which font it was that was messing you up?

(I found this page through google)
evan@geek.com

Hi anotherone,

I had the same problem with a publication I made.
I discovered the font trouble when I made a pdf of the file. I opened this pdf in illustrator 9 and bingo you could see clearly it was the font that caused the problem. I find yhe 9 version of illustrator very usefull in detecting problems in files that won't print or whatever. probably there are some trouble shooting programms around, but I rely mostly on Illustrator and pdf.

grillhouse

Help! I am having the same problem with fonts using Photoshop 6... it gives me the "Unable to continue because of a hardware or system error. Sorry, but this error is unrecoverable." error when it tries initializing the fonts.
I cannot even enter Photoshop because of this.

What can I do? How can I identify which fonts are causing the problem?

Help :)

marraskuu1978@yahoo.com

This might help. Trash the temporary items folder in PhotoShop. Then increase the memory for PhotoShop. Quit all other applications. If it is a Mac you are using, maybe the font file is corrupted. You could re-install the fonts that you need for the file.

Hi I got the unrecoverable message When running PS6 too and was stumped for a while. It occured after I ran After effects 4.1 for the first time on my machine (Windows ME). The problem was something to do with the fonts. I backed up all my .ttf files from my /windows/FONTS directory then deleted all but the default windows fonts. When I ran PS6 again it worked fine, and even after I reinstated all the fonts I removed PS6 still worked fine. I can't work out what specifically caused the error but this process seemed to cure the problem. I hope this helps.

That is pretty much what I did as well.

Backed up my fonts, and deleted the True Type Fonts. - PAINKILLER

Oops...clicked too soon.

Anyways...

(keep your OS & default fonts)

I found out which one was not working properly with Photoshop by deleting them one by one...except I did them in chunks of about 20 or 30 (so it would not take me so long). And then after deleting 20 or 30 at a time, I would try to run Photoshop after each group. Basically just proccess of elimination.

But, if you have more than one font causing the problem...then that might not work for you. So your best bet is just remove all your True Type fonts and then install them one by one. - PAINKILLER

Im so sick of Windows makeing Adobe look bad. If you've ever worked on a Mac, you would know that sh*t like this just doesnt happen. First off, if you actually want to get some work done on a PC, DON'T use anything but Win2K!! (jury is still out on XP). Second, if you start having trouble with apps, BACKUP your preferences and reinstall the fricken app. Dont try to fix it manually as the vauge error messages you get are usally only the tip of the iceberg. Third, keep your applications/operating systems as up to date as possible ie. patches and service packs. Lastly and probably most prudent to this thread, USE A FONT MANAGER!! DO NOT use your systems fonts folder to keep your fonts, it wastes precious resources, WILL induce crashes/lockups and will seriously affect performance. I highly recomend Suitcase 9 from Extensis.

thank you for the help... i was having the same problem and it ended up being my TT fonts - ugh! Anyway, I really appreciate it!

thanks guys it helped me too I was way over 500+ fonts

I had to decrease it down to 342

no fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back