Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unrecoverable error 37 exclusive required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcsoft

Programmer
Feb 25, 2002
IN
I have developed a project using clipper ver 5.3 and exospace.

It was working without any problems but since a major upgrade in which i have added certain new modules, the package has stopped executing.

On execution of the EXE, on the start itself it gives me the unrecoverable error 37 exclusive required.

I don't have any remedy to resolve this issue.

To compile the programs i use /m option.
The exospace statement is used with out any parameters except the link script filename.

I have similar other projects using the same compliation and linking parameters, and which are greater in size than this project, but they still work well.

I have tried compiling programs on dos ver 6.22 and on windows 95 but the error presists.

The optedit is enabled with extramin 4096 option. Increasing the size has also been checked but that doesn't help either.

advice solicited

ketan patel.

This error is sometimes used to alert the operator that a function or procedure has been called that requires exclusive use of the database files in order to operate properly. For example: in order to rebuild indexes exclusive use is required. Another example would be file or record locking.

Perhaps in your recent upgrade you have used a function or procedure that applies to a networking environment. Review your code for this, or open your databases in the exclusive mode and wait for the runtime error handler to tell where the error is. Be sure to compile with the /b option so that a retrace of lines can be performed.

Hope this helps,
David Tracy.

no this error is not at all in the relation that you have suggested.

Its gives me this error on startup of the application, without performing any instructions.

ketan patel.

What is the size of your program? I get this error once I compile an application whose size is over 2.4 Megs. With all the posts to my thread, for which I am greatful, a fix still cannot be found.

Hi

I think this problem is related to the SEGMENT ALIGNMENT being used by Exospace. I do not know how one can change the segment ALIGNMENT in Exospace, but in Blinker is it easy.

If you do not have the proper alignment then the extender
cannot address and load all the segments into memory
thus leading to your problem.

Please read the following info from the Blinker help file.

--------------------------------------------------------
Purpose: Specify the alignment size for a Windows .EXE file

Syntax: BLINKER EXECUTABLE ALIGNMENT <FileAlign>[,<SecAlign>]

Default: 16 bit executables 64 CA-Clipper.
16 All other languages.

32 bit executables 512, 4096.

Description: This command specifies the alignment size, and therefore the maximum file size, for the new .EXE format files used for DOS extended and Windows programs.

Segments and resources within 16 bit new .EXE files are referenced by 16 bit page numbers, which makes 65535 the maximum page number and 1 MB the default maximum .EXE size.
Sections and resources within 32 bit portable .EXE files are aligned to the file alignment setting in the .EXE file and to the section alignment setting when they are loaded into memory.
The alignments can be any valid power of 2, but the larger the alignment size the larger the possible wasted space between segments or sections.
Alignment Max 16 bit .EXE Size
1 64 Kb
2 128 Kb
4 256 Kb
8 512 Kb
16 1 Mb
32 2 Mb
64 4 Mb
128 8 Mb

Example: # Change alignment to 8 bytes for small .EXE
BLINKER EXECUTABLE ALIGNMENT 8
------------------------------------------------------

I hope this helps

regards
John

Thank u for your comments.

The size of exe is 2.1 mb. I have another project which has got file size of around 2.2 mb but that is not giving any problem.

If there is no other alternative left than i would want to switch over to blinker, because i am using common in house developed libraries and all the projects developed are using exospace.

elkari, what exactly did u work around to get rid of this problem. please suggest.

ke.

I haven't been able to solve this problem with my 2.4Meg program. If you have one large program that isn't working an a larger program that is, this problem cannot be related just to the size of the executable.

My work around was to remove modules that are known to work perfectly and don't require further changes. That way for every new module that is added an old one is removed. This keeps the DEBUG version of the program working and enable me to parse through the code to see the module in action.

How many modules (P or PRG files) are in your 2.1Meg program and how many are in the 2.2 program? Mine has 90 modules to it. This may be the limit that Clipper with Exospace has reached.

i have 104 prgs in the program in the package which is causing the problem, and 124 in the package which is larger in size and doesnt cause any error.

Both of the packages have around 30 - 40 % of code that is common (library or link the same program).

What do u mean exactly by removing the modules which are proven and work perfectly, pls. clarify, cause i also have many such modules which are common and will not receive any modifications.

thanks for sharing your experince and looking forward for an reply.

ke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back