Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unrecognized Media ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doink

MIS
Mar 31, 2003
US
When the scheduled backup failed today it said "unrecognized media" .. When I tried again a couple of times it said the same 2 times and "mount failed" one of the times ... We run it on a Nt 4.0 Server and the version is 8.0 build 3311 ... I'll hope someone can help me solve the problem .. ?

Thanx

This is the URL for the Veritas TechAlert relating to the Unrecgonized Media issue. You need to either upgrade to v8.5.3572 or apply a patch.

I have dealt with this too. Do not wait to fix this, since the next data you lose could be the data you need to Restore!

We have installed WIN2000 servers. We want to use Server 2000 back-up utility module which is a version of Veritas. It will not accomplish an unattended back-up. It consistantly gives an "unrecognized media error". MS's Hotfix does nothing. Veritas of course does not support this issue as they say it MS's problem but that their Back-up EXEC 8.5 (HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS) will work for WIN Server 2000. MS of course describes as a 3rd party software.

The server have been patched through MSSP2

Hardware: Seagate Travan 20gb 10gb native capacity.

one is SCSI
another IDE

None work correctly.

Am I wrong to expect a module within a 13 more reliable software package especially as expensive as win 2000 server to actually work. Perhaps they are mis-representing their product.

One of the tape drives (SCSI) came with Seagate's back-up Exec for NT server (AKA VERITAS) software which of course does not work on Win 2000 server. When I called SEAGATE thay kindly told me that they never shipped that product even though I had the CD with License number in my hand.

Is this a beauty of a world or what? What if I bought a new car that would not start---gosh in most places they would fix it or I could take advantage of a Lemon Law.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

HELP

The media fix for this issue lists that it is ONLY for certain versions of the program. If Veritas does not recommend using the patch for another then I am hesitant to do so. I am having this problem when using new tapes in the backup drive. We have several old tapes that work perfectly fine and complete the backup but the new ones fail consistently. Any advice?

R~

This is for rbeachler. If you're having problems with brand new tapes, you need to format them. Either use a different server/drive or use the ones you would normally for Backup Exec, but stop the BE services when nothing else is running.
I'm guessing you're using NT? If not, forget the rest of this post!
Then, you need to run NTBACKUP /NOPOLL from an NT Command Prompt.
Use Operations | Hardware Setup and select the necessary drive according to the SCSI IDs (If you don't know and you're using an array, fill all the drives with new tapes and label them up for the future!) Make sure that any valid data tapes are removed first!!
Select Erase Tape and confirm. (The /NOPOLL switch bypasses checking the tape first, it just goes and does it.)
Once you've prepared all your brand new tapes, they should work when you use them in Backup Exec.
Remember to restart the BE services if you stopped them in the steps before.
Also, you can use Veritas Raidirector (if using v8.5 or 8.6) to erase tapes which is very quick and you don't need to stop the BE services!
Good luck and I hope this works for you.
Sparkler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back