Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unrecognized Format error on 2003 MDE only 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CritterLover

Programmer
Jul 21, 2003
US
I have two databases originally written in Access 97 which I converted to 2000 and now 2003. One contains the code and forms and the other contains only the data. The data is linked. We have converted the two files and they work fine in mdb format, but not when running the mde. I have converted them both to 2003, (giving them new names and paths), I have removed the link to the old data and relinked it, I have refreshed the link through the database utilities, I've repaired and compacted them both and I have opened them both up manually in 2003. I did not create an mde file when I converted them to 2000, knowing that I was converting it again to 2003 - its final version.

One other not so minor detail.... Two versions of Access are on the machine(s) - an older version and 2003. When I get the error "This database is in an unrecognized format" I click "OK" and check the version open and it shows that it's opening Access 2003. I have the names of the databases different in 2000 than 2003 so I know for sure which version of Access is being used and which databases are being opened. It shows that it is using Access 2003 when it errors out. On one machine the older version of Access was installed last, on the other machine Access 2003 was installed last. I have the same problem on both machines (per the Access Help from the error message).

What am I missing?????!!!! Thanks!

In the Options\Advanced tab what is the Default File Format? Just wondering if a default on the front end of "Access 2000" would fail if the links connected to an Access 2003 formatted .mde file.

---------------------
scking@arinc.com
---------------------

Yes, I found the option for default format. Originally it was set to 2000, but I have since compacted, repaired, rebuilt, and recreated the mde with the default set to 2003. All to no avail. Same scenario.

I searched the knowledgebase and the article I found said this issue, or an issue producing the same error message, was fixed in Office 2003 Service Pack 2. The article claims this problem may occur if the original database file was created in Access 2000 and then converted to Database (Access 2002 - 2003 file format). It's worth a checking at least. Ref: Article ID: 906460

---------------------
scking@arinc.com
---------------------

I hadn't found that info and I don't know if we have service pack 2 installed - I suspect now. I'll check it out and let you know - THANKS!!!!!

Ahhhhh, Thank you scking!!! So obvious an answer, but yet I couldn't see it. You saved what little sanity I have left! Have a star!!!! Much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back