Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unrecognized DB Format when running the MDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

VANMAN

MIS
Sep 10, 1999
CA
I have an Access2000 MDE that is packaged with the Access 2000 (min) runtime files and sent to customers. After installation the applicaion will work for several days but will then come up with an "Unrecognized Database format" error and the MDE will not open again. I send the customer a new MDE and it will work again for a while. I have had the customer send the MDE back to me and it will open on my system no problem. I have gone through the local tables that are inside the MDE(several small system tables) but there is no problem with any of the data types.
I also have a Date in the application with the year 9999 this does not seem to come up with any invalid date type errors but I was wondering if this could be causing the problem?

Do you have the Access 2000 Developer system installed on your computer? If not, then that could be your problem. The runtime version is not supposed to work at all if you don't have the Developer Edition. I don't know how M/S constrains the use, but I ran across that statement somewhere in a M/S document.

Uncle Jack

I have the developer kit with both the Min and Full versions of the runtime files. According to MS these are free for distribution with your application if you have the Developer version. We currently bundle the Min runtime, database and the MDE together for installation on the customer system. This error does not occur with all customers. The only time I have seen this error before is when trying to open a DB of a different version. I have had the customers uninstall the Access97 runtimes just incase there is something that might conflict.

Thanks

Rather than a conflict with A97, it would be more likely a conflict might exist with A2002. Even more likely would be that the error message you receive is nonsensical and has no relationship to an unrecognized database format at all. If I were you I'd pitch this one at Microsoft and see if they could sort it out for you as it doesn't appear to be an programming problem, but more likely something wrong with Access itself. (Gosh, a bug in A2K - what a novel concept?!)

Uncle Jack

Thanks I was hopping it was something stupid I was doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back