Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unrecognized database format on backend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byrt

Technical User
Aug 18, 2002
CA
I have a customers database for access 97 that has two parts called anchor.mdb and anchordata.mdb. I assume this is a backend / frontend set up. The database suddenly developed a unrecognized database format error. I was able to open it in access 2000 using the anchor.mdb but if I try to open anchordata I get the error again. I've tried compact and repair and the jetcompress repair tool with no results. If the customer had access 2000 it wouldn't be a problem but I need to get this to open in 97. I've tried converting it back to 97 but as soon as I move it back to the original computer it becomes unusable.

If the problem is with the anchordata.mdb why will the frontend work just fine in 2000 but not 97? Ideas anyone?

No idea why it works in 2000 but not in 97.

Try creating a new 97 database and create the tables & relationships. Then convert your corrupted database to 2000 so you can read it. Attach the new 97 db tables into your 2000 db, then run append queries to copy the data over.

Either that, or export all your 2000 data to CSV files & import them into the new 97 db.

Thanks Norris68. That was the kind of rebuilding I was trying to avoid since it wasn't a database that I had designed. I am a computer technician, not a programmer although I'd like to be someday. I did the smart thing and told my customer to contact the designer to recover their data. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back